18

Omniscient

'Can you believe this?!'

Taras, Nikolai's wolf, howled in excitement as they both tried to process what had just happened. The alpha placed his free hand to his face as though to smother the raging blush that began to bloom in his cheeks.

Never in his life has he felt such joy or bashfulness before. The feelings were so overwhelming that he wanted nothing more than to rouse his mate from her slumber and ravish her at this very moment. Nik struggled to clear his throat and reign himself in, working to dispel the thoughts.

'I suppose that means it won't be long before I can finally mark her.' He tried to speak casually as Taras nodded along, though it was now Taras who struggled to stop thinking of their mate.

'Those bastards on the council should be happy then and all those other packs can finally shut their traps.' The wolf glowered, a growl escaping him as he spoke. This time, Nikolai nodded in agreement with him.

Unbeknownst to Alina, there was a lot of opposition to how he was handling their situation. One of the strongest Alphas descended from the imperial bloodline bowing his head in submission of his human mate? It was practically unheard of. Supernaturals were proud beings in general, but werewolves even more so.

They fought harder than anyone else to change the world and be accepted by humans so they no longer had to fear revealing themselves when there was an uptick in human mates and by extension, half-breeds. The human government couldn't argue in the face of their power and so they sacrificed the human mates for the rest of society and supernaturals were more than happy with this arrangement. Separating people from their families, loved ones, and in some cases even the world that they knew.

Nikolai didn't think that he would be much different if he had a human mate. It was expected even more so for him, because he was an alpha. Someone with power that no one else could refuse and yet. . . Alina was so far from what he expected. Someone who couldn't feel the mating bond, but came to like him nonetheless. When he thought of the fact that she chose to be with him not due to the pull of their bond but because she grew to have feelings for him, something strange bloomed in his chest.

'We should notify the Bureau that I've found my mate before anything else happens. At least then her family won't be able to act so recklessly anymore.' Nikolai spoke to Taras who finally settled down from the effects of Alina's kiss.

'I do find myself worried though. As much as Alina would like to take her time, once the prince hears of this he might not stay still.' Nikolai let out a groan at the mention of his cousin.

'Regardless of that royal pain in my ass we have other priorities. The pack has had to tolerate the mocking of our neighbors for far too long. Lev's had his hands full trying to stop conflicts left and right.'

Taras huffed at this. He was a wolf that valued the old ways of doing things, so in the face of bureaucracy and it's consequences he could only scoff while muttering about traditions.

Nikolai paused as Alina stirred, her breathing becoming slower once she finally settled. His eyes lingered on the girl for a second more before turning to the door where he could notice a presence. "Come in." He spoke quietly, the knob turning immediately in response to let in his parents with Lev trailing in behind them.

"How is she?" Nikolai's mother, Vera, questioned. Her brows scrunched as she carefully watched the young woman.

"She's exhausted, but I don't think there were any side effects." Nikolai spoke quietly, shifting himself away from his mate. He got up from the bed, adjusting his clothes, "We should talk in the office."