Almost Home

Almost Home

"You really think they'll be waiting for us?" I ask as Liam shuts the passenger door on himself. He sits in the front seat with Jake, wearing a black sweater and a pair of jeans. Lou rides in the car ahead with his sisters and mother. They would be leaving an hour behind us to avoid any harmful blood shed of innocents, or at leasts that how Nan put it.

Niall insisted on leaving early for the airport to scope out any unusual things, he had been gone for over four hours without a phone call or text. Part of me worried for him but the other half knew he would be just fine, that this is what he does...even so.

"There's no way to tell, I caught whiffs of smells coming here but nothing strong enough to be concerned."

"How do you know though?" I press the issue, he seems to carefree about this issue and it worries me. This is my life in danger, not a game. He shifts roughly in his seat and looks at me with nothing in his eyes.

"Mutts smell different," sneering at me he waits to explain more "Like rotten flesh, and back alleys. You have to be careful around mutts Harley, they have no impulse control with humans. You smell like sweet, burning daisies and warm milk. It's disgusting, and easily traced." His lips curls back over his teeth as he speaks.

Jake stays unusually quiet as Liam finishes explaining, "Every single one of them wants you dead because then nothing will ever stop them. You are the only thing standing between them and endless freedom, chaos and blood." He snaps, "Just let me get you off that plane and home safe, don't argue or question and maybe we'll all live."

"But you're a mutt so what does that mean for you?" responding to his attitude, a small smirk rises on Mr. Tomlinsons face but it disappears quickly as not to take sides in the argument.

"Just because I don't have a family doesn't mean I chose blood," he says quietly.

I shut up after that getting the sense that he wasn't in the sharing mood. I slump back against the seat and rub my hands along my tight jeans. I should have worn tights, it would be easier to run in them but I grabbed the only clean thing left in my bag. I threw a loose plaid shirt over my black tank top and that was that. Louis didn't speak to me that morning, he took my bag to the car without a word. Standing my the door I had climbed inside the vehicle and before I had a chance to say anything he shut the door in my face.

I was getting the silent treatment for acting like a brat, but I had the right to be upset with him. Setting me up with Liam was uncalled for and just cruel. Adding to the ever growing list of people that I should be suspicious about. By the time we get to the airport everyone has gone silent. Liam's head is resting against the car seat, his eyes are closed over in sleep and comfort. Jake turns the engine off and gets out of the car quietly, weightless in his large brown boots on the cement.

Within the same few minutes Louis is at my door opening it for me, his face directed elsewhere. He's wearing a simple black t-shirt over his thin frame and he's got on jeans that roll at the ankle. He helps me from the car but then backs away from me, turning to Liam. Whispering something along the lines of keep an eye on her, she's all clouded today.