Chapter 42: The Final Showdown...

Start from the beginning

Based on all the modern scaffolding surrounding the climate wall's interior support beams and reinforced pillars, someone had recently placed the golden wires with moderate precision. But for what purpose?

As I knelt down on the floor to inspect the golden wires leading under a dusty control console with dimly lit buttons, I felt a metallic object press firmly against the back of my head.

"Drop what you're doing, and put your paws up," a gruff voice behind me threatened.

I immediately turned around... only to feel a second gun barrel pointed directly at my forehead.

"Don't move," a second voice said, moving in closer.

There were two razorbacks, both armed with long tranquilizer guns. Each wore heavy SWAT armor, extra dart ammunition on a tactical belt, and highly modified ZPD gear. Someone got an upgrade.

Per my battle instincts, I reached for the rifle slung over my back, only to get smacked upside the head by a third mammal who came out of nowhere.

"Drop the weapon too, or—whatever that thing is—or we'll drop you faster than a drunk cheetah on a dirt bike," he ordered, activating his high-intensity flashlight.

We all took aim at each other. The razorbacks surrounded me on each side of the catwalk—two on one end, two on the other. I was outnumbered four-to-one.

"How'd you get in here?" they demanded.

I didn't answer. I figured my gun could do the talking. After all, the odds were somewhat likable. I could probably take them on.

But then I looked up and saw a dozen more razorbacks standing on the upper scaffolding platforms and taking aim. Each had a long tranquilizer gun loaded and ready, like knights armed with crossbows to protect a castle wall—or, in this case, a climate wall. There were six on one side of the room and six on the other. In sum, I was now outnumbered sixteen-to-one.

I didn't like those odds anymore.

As a result, I lowered my rifle, not wanting to take any chances of being tranquilized, especially when there was zero cover to hide behind.

"Well, well, well... look who it is," a larger razorback came forward, carrying a set of metal restraints. "If it isn't Mr. Cherry Blossom himself. Literally in the flesh. More so than ever before," he took a brief moment to inspect me. "I love your new look, by the way. Imagine how much easier it'll be for us to peel you apart, piece by piece."

"Enough. Where's the girl?" I demanded, clenching my fist.

He laughed. "Oh, you mean Penny? That frightened little jackal girl? I wouldn't worry too much about her. She'll probably be outliving you tonight... once our work here is done. Once we're through with you."

I angrily aimed at his forehead, lightly pressing against the trigger.

"Wouldn't do that if I were you, human," he waved his hoof mockingly, grinning proudly. "We've got you completely surrounded."

"No shit," I sighed, setting my rifle on the ground.

Cued by his glance, two razorbacks struck my neck with their batons, causing me to fall to my knees and clutch onto myself.

"And you must understand," he continued. "You are no longer in control here. We are. Us razorbacks," he gestured to everyone in the room. "Zootopia is officially... under our control."

I glanced upward. "Go to hell."

That earned me another bash in the head. Then they took another baton swing just for the hell of it, right before jamming a high-voltage taser into my neck. Why not hit me again just in case I didn't feel it? That's exactly what they did.