4

When I woke up I was covered up on the couch with Tara cuddling next to me. Ray was in the floor drooling with his hand in the popcorn bowl. I got up and walked around until I found the bathroom. I brushed my hair and put some toothpaste on my finger and tried to brush my teeth. I walked out into the kitchen to make some coffee. By the time it was done Tara was up.

"Morning Alex." She said.

"Good morning Tara. I hope you don't mind I made some coffee." I said.

"Thank god! I need my morning coffee." She said and grabbed a mug.

"Well I appreciate you letting my stay the night but I really should-"

"No don't you dare say you should go home." Tara interrupted. "After just seeing what he has done to you I don't think you need to go back there except to pick up your stuff."

"Pick up my stuff?" I asked.

"Yep. I'm driving you down there and we are packing up your stuff. If your inadequate stepfather is there than we shall just ignore him and do what needs to be done." She said.

"Okay but wait, you have a car?" I asked.

"Yeah. I barely ever drive it to the café because I live so close. It's good to get a little exercise but sine you'll have stuff then I figure we'll need the car." She said and grabbed some keys off the counter. "Let's go."

I told her where my house was and we drove in silence. When we got there my stepdad's car was in the drive and I could feel the hair on the back of my neck rise. I closed my eyes tight together and then opened them and got out of the car.

We walked into the house and my stepdad was sitting on the couch. He looked over and scowled.

"Where were you?" He yelled.

"She was with me." Tara said.

"And who are you? Her lesbian whore girly friend?" He asked.

"No but I don't think that really matters. Go on Alex." She said and nudged me.

I speed walked over to my room and grabbed the suitcases I kept under my bed for if I ever had the courage to run away. I packed one full of my clothes and the other with sentimental things, like the things my mom and grandma gave me.

I stopped and looked at the picture of my mom, grandma, and me at the fair. It was when I was 8. Little did I know that a month later grandma was gonna die from a 'heart attack'. I still believe my mom told me that because she didn't want to believe herself that grandma was murdered. Little me also didn't think that mom was gonna die just 4 years later. I stuffed the photo in my suitcase and ran back into the living room.

"You ready?" Tara asked. I nodded.