On Some Romeo And Juliet Shit

Addison

I glowered at Matt and Vanessa as they strolled back to the table, hand in hand. Her cheeks were rosy pink, and she was gazing at him adoringly.

"Did you two get lost or something? I've been waiting for you to return for ages," I grumbled, drumming my fingers on the table, and noting Matt's mussed hair. I arched a brow at him. "Although...maybe not long enough."

Matt rolled his eyes as he zipped up his hooded sweatshirt. "We were gone for the necessary amount of time," he challenged.

Sliding out of the booth, I shrugged. "Okay." As I passed him, I patted him on the shoulder and leaned in to mutter in his ear, "Wow, Reaper, I've never seen you with anything less than perfect hair before." His hands immediately flew up to his scalp, smoothing down his locks and running his fingers through them.

My sights still on him, I handed Vanessa a napkin. "Here, sweetie, your lip gloss is a tad smudged." Quickly grabbing the tissue from me, she wiped her mouth discreetly. "I have to say though," I continued. "Passion Pink is definitely your color, Matt."

Scowling, he rubbed his lips furiously with the back of his hand. "Better than your ruby red," he muttered beneath his breath.

After lunch, we spent the remainder of the afternoon exploring Times Square. Transfixed by the glittering lights and flashing billboards, I spun around as I took in the extravagance. "This is so cool!" I squealed. "Maybe I should rethink the location of my studies and transfer to here."

Coming up behind me, Matt clasped my upper arms. "Please do," he muttered.

I stuck out my tongue. "You'll miss me if I leave."

"But I'll gain peace and quiet," he replied, grinning. He raised his gaze towards the skyline of the city, studying the fiery orange sun as it slowly sank behind a tower of steel. "Something I definitely haven't found here all day."

Sighing, he glanced over at Vanessa. "As much as I hate to say this, I should probably start heading back home now. I have no doubt that I'll be playing the role of snail in that traffic." He shuddered.

Vanessa's eyes misted over, and she threw herself into his arms. "I'm not ready for you to leave," she wailed.

Smoothing her hair, he planted a kiss on the top of her head. "I know, sweetheart but I promise I'll come back as soon as I can."

I nearly lost my lunch as we began the mopey walk back towards his car. Sobbing, Vanessa listed off every freckle and body part on him that she would ache for. Instead of telling her to chill, he only fed into her hysteria by musing over how lonely his nights would be without her, effectively making the situation worse.

Stopping at his Jetta, they continued with their weeping fest. Are you freaking kidding me? They act as though Matt's going off to War. I wouldn't exactly call him cleaning up after someone's dinner heroic.

Vanessa snuggled into him, and they hugged for what seemed like forever. Honest to God, the seasons changed in the length of time they spent in their embrace. Sure, he screws in like five minutes but this he carries on with.

"Call me the second you get home," she said through quivering lips.

"An apocalypse couldn't stop me from hearing your voice tonight." Lowering his head, he gave her a long kiss. I swear, if I see a string of drool between them when they separate, I will dry heave right onto this sidewalk. I grimaced at the dingy pavement, spotted with dried bits of gum and the occasional food wrapper. Well, at least I wouldn't be making it any worse.

"Be safe tonight," Matt cooed, caressing her cheeks with the pads of his thumbs. "I don't know what I would do if something happened to you."

Alright, enough of this lovey-dovey horse manure. Sighing loudly, I nudged Matt to get into the car. "You two are so dramatic. You've only been dating for a month but are already acting as though you're on some Romeo and Juliet shit."