Sweetness and Light

Mrs Johnson set the tray down on the table. Mr Johnson, distracted by the rattling of china, glanced around the side of his newspaper and grunted. "Is it three o'clock already?" he asked.

"Yes, dear." Mrs Johnson began to arrange the tea things, setting them out just-so. An empty cup and saucer were placed on the armrest of her husband's chair. "Brewed just the way you like it."

"Good." Mr Johnson went back to his paper and turned a page. His attention was focused on the printed columns and grainy pictures.

"Now, here's your pills." Mrs Johnson rattled a small, plastic bowl at him. "And here's the sugar. Don't get them confused. "Shall I pour?"

"Please." Mr Johnson turned over another page.

""Well, I had a good day." Mrs Johnson lifted the teapot and started to pour out the tea. "I was talking to Mrs Walford at the hairdresser."

"Really."

"She was telling me about her husband's legs." Mrs Johnson put the teapot back on the tray and stared at her husband. His eyes were still fixed on his newspaper. His ears were deaf to her conversation. "Terrible time he's having with them."

"Really."

"Oh yes." As Mrs Johnson continued with her gossiping, she brought out a medicine bottle from the pocket of her housecoat. She unscrewed the cap and gently tapped a dozen of the pills within into her hand. "Well, he hasn't been the same since his operation - has he?"

"Really." Mr Johnson continued to read his paper.

"Oh yes." With a swift movement, Mrs Johnson brought her hand over Mr Johnson's cup and dropped the pills into the hot liquid.

Mr Johnson turned to look at his cup. "What was that?"

"What? This?" Mrs Johnson held up a china milk jug. "Just a spot of milk, dear. I know you like milk in your tea."

"Ah." Mr Johnson returned to his reading. Then a clawed hand came out from behind the newspaper and groped around the arm of his chair.

"Here you go." A sugar bowl and spoon were placed in reach of the questing digits. Mr Johnson picked them up.

"Thank you."

Mrs Johnson watched her husband as he automatically spooned his usual three helping of sugar into his tea, and stirred.