‘I know. I am so grateful. I have spent years trying to get my name out there and this could change everything for me. It really could I just….I met someone. He lives in Florida and I just feel like nows the time to change the script. Do something crazy and follow my heart.’

Maryam didn’t know the whole story, but the sentiment wasn’t lost on her. ‘So you’re a hopeless romantic, trying to make it work with someone a really long way away.’

‘Yes. Don’t get me wrong. I am totally torn, but if this job means months away from him at a time, I don’t know whether I can sacrifice my personal life for this.’

Maryam cocked her head to one side, processing what she was saying, and nodding in agreement.

‘You have been so generous to me. I feel like the biggest idiot.’

‘But you’re not’ Maryam pointed out. ‘You just have other priorities, and as a woman working in a real cut throat world, I really get that. I had a baby last year and it was murder trying to get certain people to realise some things are more important than promotions. Or in your case, an attractive sum of money.’

Emily felt like a weight had been lifted, and in one fell swoop her mind was made up.

If he could drop everything for her, she would let go of even more to be by his side.

‘It’s been lovely to meet you Emily.’ Maryam said, reaching across the table and shaking her hand. ‘I’ll be in touch. I can’t promise anything, but maybe, just maybe we can make this work.’

Annie slipped the keys into her pocket, a huge smile plastered on her face, in spite of the flurry of tears she wasn’t expecting.

‘I can have the flat. You’re serious?’

‘I’m serious. This is all or nothing.’

‘And your papers. How will you sort all of that?’