22

as soon as jisung realized he was surrounded by one of the most dangerous mafias, he grabbed his gun, pointing it at them.

jisung was about to say something when suddenly, he was struck on the nape, causing him to lose consciousness.

-----

"you didn't need to hit him that hard, changbin," minho scolded, approaching jisung and checking his injuries.

"did you guys bring any med kit?" he turned around to his members, but they only shook their heads.

"i thought this was an ambush, so i didn't think we'd need a med kit, hehe," innie cheekily said, rubbing the back of his neck.

minho sighed, shaking his head at his irresponsible members.

minho patted jisung's clothes, trying to locate his phone. once he found it, he dialed 119 and provided them with the address of the location, requesting medical assistance.

"hyung, can i get mcdonald's after this?" innie asked, his stomach rumbling.

minho returned jisung's phone to his pocket, kissing the younger's forehead before standing up and instructing everyone to leave.

-----

"jisung? jisung!" jisung slowly opened his eyes, adjusting his sight.

he couldn't quite remember what had happened when he was knocked out.

when his eyes finally cleared, he saw chan in his line of sight.

"h-hyung..." he started, his voice hoarse.

the blonde slowly stood up from his position; his head was hurting so bad. chan assisted jisung, giving him a bottle of water.

jisung accepted the water, and at that moment, he realized he was in an ambulance.

everything came back to him - his mission, the masked man, the captives, and the mafia.

he abruptly stood up, wanting to go back to the den, but chan stopped him.

"jisung! everything's settled! the mastermind behind the gambling den is dead." chan tried to calm the younger.

"and the captives?"

"the captives are all safe, the department is trying to contact their families."

"and the mafia?" jisung looked up at chan, but the older just gave him a frown.

"when we arrived at the den, you were alone, sung. the mafia was the one who ambushed the den. you're lucky they didn't do anything to you." chan worried, sitting down beside the younger and patting his back.

"wait... how did you even know i'm here?" jisung questioned in confusion.

the only people who know about this operation are the superiors at their agency. how did chan find out about this?

"someone from our agency informed me and some others from the department about what happened to you," chan answered.

"are they the superiors?"

"i don't really know. the number that called me was unknown, and they said that you needed help in a field operation and gave me the address."

jisung furrowed his eyebrows, some things aren't adding up.

"the medics?" the younger continued to ask.

"when i arrived here, the medics were already tending to you. they said you have a fracture in your right arm and leg, so you won't be able to go to work for now," chan explained.

jisung's mouth formed an 'o' shape.

'looks like i'm gonna have to rot in my apartment until i'm healed,' he thought, not really liking the idea of being stuck in his apartment for weeks.

"the seniors already know about your condition, so you don't have to worry. they will even reward you for this operation," chan said, trying to lift the younger's spirits.

"oh, and i also informed the chief through message. maybe he won't give you any workload to do from home because of this."

jisung smacked chan's arm with his unbroken one, hating the fact that chan had to inform him.

as they were bickering in the ambulance, seungmin approached them. he was with the other agents, inspecting the scene.

"seungmin, you're here?" asked the younger.

"yeah, i was told to inspect the scene. looks like the mafia didn't leave anyone behind, except you, for that matter," seungmin said, pointing at the injured jisung.

hearing that, jisung couldn't get rid of the uneasiness inside him. he feels like he's missing something big about the mafia.

'there's more to it than meets the eye,' he wondered, repeating the words minho told him.

the younger looked around the scene, searching for someone. "is felix not here?" he asked, noticing the absence of the deep-voiced loudmouth in their group.

"we weren't able to contact him, it seems like he's already asleep. it is already late," the oldest explained.

jisung gave a nod but couldn't help worrying about his friend felix. he hadn't been himself earlier, which was unusual.

"you weren't even gonna look for me, sung?" jisung turned to the voice and saw minho approaching him.

at that moment, jisung realized that not only felix but minho had also been missing, though now he was here.

minho walked up to jisung, frowning as he looked at his cast. "does it hurt?" he asked.

"it hurt earlier, but now it's not that bad," jisung reassured him, offering a small smile.

"minho, you're here! i thought you weren't going to come because i couldn't contact you earlier," chan said, turning to the man now sitting beside jisung.

"my phone died on my way here, so that's probably why," minho explained.

chan nodded at his response, but seungmin gave minho a suspicious glare.

"come on, sung, i'll drive you home," minho said, carrying the younger in his arms and then walking to his car.

jsung was taken aback by the action, but he wasn't complaining. his mind was also too exhausted to start an inner crisis.

"but i brought my car here..."

"i'll drive your car, ji." seungmin said, and jisung immediately gave him his keys.

as soon as he got into minho's car, the blonde settled comfortably in the passenger seat. he let out a deep sigh; today had been eventful, and he just wanted to go home and rest.

minho noticed jisung's exhausted state, he connected the aux, played a soft song, and started the engine, not wasting any time to send jisung home.

"you can sleep, ji." he informed.

jisung smiled at minho's considerate actions, he closed his eyes, and let the song minho played lull him to sleep.