Chapter 44: Dumbledore's Army

~.~.~Parts 91-93~.~.~
•Y/n's POV•

I felt happier for the rest of the weekend than I had done all term. I spent much of Sunday helping Fred and George catch up with all their homework again, and although this could hardly be called fun. The last burst of autumn sunshine persisted, so rather than sitting hunched over tables in the common room, we took their work outside and lounged in the shade of a large oak tree on the edge of the lake. I, of course, was up to date with all my work. The knowledge that we were doing something to resist Umbridge and the Ministry and that he was a key part of the rebellion, gave me a feeling of immense satisfaction.

That Monday morning, I met the twins at their dorm and we headed downstairs from their dormitory together, we were halfway across the sunlit common room when we noticed the addition to the room that had already attracted the attention of a small group of people. A large sign had been affixed to the Gryffindor notice board, so large that it covered everything else on there — the lists of second-hand spellbooks for sale, the regular reminders of school rules from Argus Filch, the Quidditch team training schedule, the offers to barter certain Chocolate Frog cards for others, the twins' new advertisement for testers, the dates of the Hogsmeade weekends, and the lost-and-found notices. The new sign was printed in large black letters and there was a highly official-looking seal at the bottom beside a neat and curly signature.

— by order of —

The High Inquisitor of Hogwarts

All Student Organizations, Societies, Teams, Groups, and Clubs are henceforth disbanded. An Organization, Society, Team, Group, or Club is hereby defined as a regular meeting of three or more students. Permission to re-form may be sought from the High Inquisitor (Professor Umbridge). No Student Organization, Society, Team, Group, or Club may exist without the knowledge and approval of the High Inquisitor.

Any student found to have formed, or to belong to, an Organization, Society, Team, Group, or Club that has not been approved by the High Inquisitor will be expelled. The above is in accordance with Educational Decree Number Twenty-four.

Signed: Dolores Jane Umbridge, High Inquisitor

We read the notice over the heads of some anxious-looking second years. "Does this mean they're going to shut down the Gobstones Club?" one of them asked his friend.

"I reckon you'll be okay with Gobstones," Fred said darkly, making the second-year jump.

"I don't think we're going to be as lucky, though, do you?" he asked George and me as the second years hurried away. I was reading the notice again. The happiness that had filled me since Saturday was gone. My insides were pulsing with rage.

"This isn't a coincidence," I said, Fred's hands forming fists. "She knows."

"She can't," said George at once.

"There were people listening in that pub. And let's face it, we don't know how many of the people who turned up we can trust. . . . Any of them could have run off and told Umbridge. . . ." I suggested informatively

"Zacharias Smith!" said Fred at once, punching a fist into his hand.

"Or — I thought that Michael Corner had a really shifty look too —" George added after

"I wonder if Hermione's seen this yet?" I questioned, looking around at the door to the girls' dormitories.

"Someone must have blabbed to her!" Ron said angrily. "They can't have done it," said Hermione in a low voice. "You're so naive," said Ron, "you think just because you're all honorable and trustworthy —"