60 ➟ In which I get a job.

"And I literally saved [Y/N]'s life," Rin concluded a smug look on his face.

"Who's [Y/N]? Kaji asked, "are we supposed to know them?"

"We're you paying any attention to the story pretty boy?" Rin snapped back and I almost spat out the coffee Kaneko had made me after fussing over me for nearly 30 minutes after he came back from his lunch break and discovered that I was back. The fussing included, and was definitely limited to food, 'what have you been eating?', 'you look pale, have you been eating spinach?' And one that wasn't: 'are you okay?' That one was accompanied by a hug that, I honestly wasn't expecting since he was usually so quiet and kept to himself.

"Pretty boy?" Kaji repeated, evidently shocked, though I don't know why, Rin hadn't been very tame when telling everyone about the past two years.

"What, am I wrong?" There was a small grumble of agreement from all the other guys which garnered a very disappointed reaction from Kaji.

I quickly reiterated that my name was in fact [Y/N] and that Kaji wasn't wrong to be confused, he was just a bit slow. That, of course, didn't help the disappointed Kaji feel any better- no surprises there.

After re-establishing some important facts -so that Rin didn't confuse anyone else- and leaving out some others, Rin finally came to the conclusion of his story, "And then I told her that she had to come back and then Hawks said it as well so then she basically had to say yes."

"I wanted to come back before they told me to," I added, trying not to offend any of the guys, "I mean, I always wanted to come back, I just didn't know if you wanted me."

Tsuyoshi gave me a look as if he were evaluating my response- he'd been doing it throughout the whole of Rin's story, watching me from the corner of his eye at different moments throughout his speech. "I'm glad you came back."

I looked at him, it was my turn to evaluate his response, after all, he did watch the Commission take me, he did nothing to stop it, looked at me as though I were a monster- but there was a lack of resentment on my part. I couldn't tell you exactly why, to be true, I felt slightly frustrated at myself that I didn't, but ever since Ephialtes had left, there was a weight off of my back, one that no longer weighed down feelings of resentment and turmoil. Though, I still allowed myself to be cautious, "Thanks Tsuyoshi."

"So," --- looked at me, an expectant look on his face, "You coming back then?"

"I can come back?" I looked at him with a mixture of surprise and confusion, but couldn't stop the smile that pulled at the corner of my mouth.

"Does it look like anyone's taken over your bench?" Homura asked that like it was an obvious answer and I was stupid for even asking.

I turned to look at Keigo, who was lounged out beside me, his body looking relaxed, but his eyes quickly darting from each of the men, like he was still slightly nervous around them. He turned to look at me, a small smile on his face. It was an encouraging look, but then he smirked, "it'll get you out of the house more."

"Excuse me? I get out of the house a lot!"

"I know you had a rough childhood but surely someone told you it was bad to lie-" I elbowed him in the side catching him mid-laugh, distorting it into an pained wheeze.

I ignored his wheeze for help as I looked back at my old workmates, "I'd love to come back."

"Good," Kaji nodded, "because we were about to hire a new worker. "

"I thought you were just saying that no one was taking over my bench." I raised an eyebrow.

"There's only a certain amount of time we can wait [N/N]." I had missed being called by my nickname, it was nice to hear so many people use it casually.

"Haha," I rolled my eyes.

Short one but felt like it was needed for now 👍