8➟ In which I agree to Kaji's terms.

"You're late."

I half thought that I was going to get away with being late to work, but I couldn't lie and say that there wasn't a part of me that knew I was already found out before I'd even stepped into the garage.

Although, I was surprised to find that instead of Homura calling me out, it was Kaji who stood in front of me with his arms crossed over his chest and a look of sheer disappointment on his face.

"Kaji! Fancy seeing you here!" I smiled brightly, starting to walk past him only to be grabbed by the forearm and pulled back.

"Don't do that," he looked at me, a completely serious look plastered across his face- nothing like his usual look- something felt... off about him.

"... You alright?" I asked, giving him a once over.

"Really n/n?" He sighed, running a hand through his long black hair as he turned away from me.

"Really what Kaji?" I quickly walked up beside him, looking at him and trying to work out what was wrong.

Did something happen this morning? It would make sense since I don't remember how I got out of the house.

"Is it about something this morning?" I asked, Kaji's quickly increasing pace forcing me to speed up so that I could keep up with him. He said nothing in response, instead, he just walked over to his workbench and began t sort through his tools, "Kaji, don't ignore me, what are you annoyed about?"

"I'm not annoyed," he replied simply, ignoring me as I rolled my eyes at his response.

"Well, that's a lie."

"I'm not annoyed, I'm just frustrated."

What a great elaboration, I now know exactly what he's talking about.

"About what?" I asked, still completely out of the loop as to what he was so 'frustrated' about.

"You know what," he said, picking up a wrench and holding it under his arm as he tied up his hair.

"No, I don't."

The expression on his face was so withering, I felt as if I was about to shrink on the spot.

"So you conveniently forgot about kicking me out of your house because I wasn't 'eating food to your standards'?" He made air quotes with his fingers.

I stared at him, completely and utterly lost.

"I kicked you out for eating? Why would I kick you out for eating?" I asked, "When have I ever kicked you out for eating? Well- I mean you do have an ungodly manner of eating- but I've never kicked you out-"

"Well you did this morning, all because you wanted to impress your special guest," Kaji shook his head, "Look, I'm probably over-reacting, just... get ready for work before Homura catches you."

"Wait, no-"

"It's fine, don't worry about it."

"It's obviously not," I countered, refusing to leave it alone until I could work out what happened this morning, "Look, just listen, I don't remember what happened this morning, all I remember is I was somehow in the middle of the city next to Lelija. It's probably some stupid hangover thing, but seriously," I stared him dead in the eyes, "I don't remember kicking you out- I barely even remember waking up."

His hazel eyes looked me up and down; like he was evaluating whether or not to believe me.

"Why would I lie Kaji?"

"I mean, to get out of the blame?" He said plainly.

"Oh, shut up," I grumbled, "At least tell me what I can do to make you less annoyed at me."