48 ➟ In which I'm no longer undercover.

I wasn't panicking, and I couldn't tell you why, but following the Librarian through the chaos, unable to stop was no where near as terrifying as I thought it would've been. Maybe it was because it's happened before with Clover, maybe it was because I genuinely felt thoroughly calm. Stopping in the middle of the parking lot, before he could pull me out of the buildings exit.

He stopped too, turning to look at me, a smile still twisting his face. He didn't suit a smile. It always looked wrong and awkward on him. "What's the matter?" He asked.

I just looked at him, shrugging, "I thought I was leading this 'mission' that's all."

"You were, but now, it's over and I have something much more important for you to do."

"Which is?" I asked.

His smile, though not obvious, wavered, ever-so-slightly, though his eyes still stayed trained on mine, just like I with his. "You're bigger than this."

I chuckled, "In what way?"

"You're bigger than this just as I am bigger than this."

"See," I began, "you're saying all these words, but they just don't mean anything."

"Let's leave and I'll tell you what they mean."

"What?" I smiled, "Do you not want to get caught? You don't trust my quirk enough?"

He shook his head, reaching out his hand and grabbing my wrist again, muttering something under his breath about how he 'has no time to deal with this'. He tugged, but I stood still, tilting my head in a questioning manner.

"What are you doing?" He looked at me.

"Standing?" I replied simply.

"Do you not want to follow me?"

"Not really. I want to go back and see this mission through, just like I was told to do. Is there something wrong with that?"

"Bullshit," the Librarian cursed shaking his head and pulling on my wrist once more, his grip getting tighter as he attempts to drag me with him became more and more futile. I wasn't budging.

"What do you mean?" I asked, a teasing edge to my voice.

"Bullshit," He spat out the word this time, dropping my wrist and taking a few steps back so that he could... pace? Around me, his eyes still trained on me. By now, the chaos around us had moved up a floor, leaving the space we were in quiet and echoey. His footsteps repeating around all the different concrete surfaces surrounding us. If I couldn't see him, I'd have no way of telling where he was.

"You're Commission scum and I took you," He hit his chest with a fist, stopping in front of me for a few seconds before resuming his pacing, "I took you to make you better, to improve everything about you."

"You didn't really do much," I replied, suddenly much less worried about my undercover position, I had a feeling he already knew.

"I could have made you perfect, I knew you were working with the Commission. Knew you were feeding them all those little facts about me and my family- do you know how disappointed I was when you took on this job- I thought you were smarter than this. You thought you'd tricked me into giving up everything just for a little take over?"

"If you knew I was still working with them, why did you let me stay then?" I asked, crossing my arms over my chest, "You really thought I was going to switch sides because I wanted to kidnap innocent people?"

"You did."

"I did it for the job."

"The Commission made you do it for the job."

"The Commission knows where they are, and they're about to get them out. Who knows what else you were going to do to those poor people." I bit back.

"I was going to save the world."

"You?" I laughed, "You told me you wanted to create a new world order, kill the weak. How is that saving the world?"

He finally stopped pacing, standing directly in front of me with a twisted frown on his face, his hands resting against his hips. "I wanted you to be there with me to see it unfold. But I guess you think you're too good to help this world become what it's always been destined to be."

I laughed once more, letting pools of black cascade down from my fingers, ready to get rid of this man once and for all, let the Commission send him to Tartarus once I was done for him. He noticed, looking down at the tendrils of black and smiling, yellowed teeth showing themselves one by one as his lips were pulled taught upwards.

He stood still letting them reach him before looking directly into my eyes, his purple eyes flashing an even darker shade for a single moment, "Go ahead."

"