Chapter 11: Hera

Achilles was sitting on the couch, sipping on a glass of wine. After my little outburst with her parents, they went out drinking. They didn't say much, per my request. I didn't want to talk. I just needed to sit and think. She asked me again about accepting the job at Brysin, but I told her I needed to consider it more.

          It's a lie. I decided the second she asked me a few days ago, but I must play this scenario outright. As bad as it sounds, I know it will work. Using Achilles to get to Zeus is my last shot to get through to her. Of course, I'm not going to initiate anything sexual. I'm not attracted to Achilles that way, and I honestly can't see myself with anyone other than Zeus.

          Achilles smiled at me. "What's the problem?"

          She must have seen me frowning when I walked out of my bedroom. I can't find my phone. I've kept it on my person since I got here, looking for anything from Zeus. But I can't find it.

          I look around the tables in the living room. "I can't find my phone." I'm unsure what I would say to Zeus if she texted or called me. I'm not even sure if I have the strength to answer her.

          "Have you thought more about my offer? I'm a patient woman, but it's been days now. You have to have an answer now." Achilles set the wine glass down on the coaster of the coffee table. Waiting for me to respond.

          I continue to look for my phone. I stopped when I heard her laugh. "What?"

          She gestured her hand at me. "It just looks like you're going a little stir-crazy in here. I feel like this job could do you some good."

          I pause.

          She's kind of correct. I'm standing here searching for my phone, which may or may not have any sign that Zeus wants to talk to me. The only time I've gotten out of the house was to go to that dinner with my parents that turned to shit.

          Hestia offered to take me out the next take to help me decompress, but I declined.

          "I also feel like you need something to do other than sulk around." she continued.

          I frowned at her, placing my hands on my hips. "Excuse me? I am not sulking! I told you I would think about it."

          Achilles laughed, not making me feel any better. She collapsed her hands over her lap. Sitting back on the couch.

          "If you would have been thinking about it, you would have an answer for me. You know, you can say no." she raised a brow at me.

          I lean my head back, taking a deep breath. "I won't say no because I might want to accept your offer." I lie a little. "It's just you have to understand where I'm coming from. My marriage is already rocky right now, and if I just get up and start working with the competition on the board as you promised, ill look like I fucked you for the position. And I'm not that kind of woman."

          Most of that is true.

          Achilles nodded her head. I'm going to assume in understanding. "I see. It's a big ask now that you bring that up." she smiled at me. "Okay, take your time. I will be more patient."

          Before I could respond, there was a knock at the door. Achilles looked at me, confused, and I mirrored her expression. I wasn't expecting anyone, and if it were Hestia, she would have called or texted before she showed up.

          My parents know better than to show up after what Mother said. It will take a while before I reach out to them again.

          As sad as it is to say, I don't have any friends apart from Achilles now, I guess.