Chapter 4: Zeus

For months Hera has done nothing but ignore me, accuse me of cheating, and make snarky remarks about our marriage, and I'm tired of it.

I have no idea where it all went wrong or why she is so distant. For the longest time, I've remained patient. I know I have my secrets, but no one would cause her or her feelings any harm. Even though our relationship started off really rocky, I have never given her any reason not to trust me.

Our relationship isn't the greatest, and to some, how we started off, it won't seem very healthy either, but it worked for us. Being together mattered to us no matter how we got to each other.

I remember a lot of the time in high school. She would find many ways to hurt me. To get to me. To touch me. And I loved it. All of it.

I loved her attention, no matter how hateful and dangerous it seemed to others. Now her hateful remarks seem... real, like she hates me. I don't know how to fix it. I don't even know where to start.

Walking toward the hall where the bathrooms are, I hear a familiar female voice. "I came here for your brother, not for you."

I saw Hades and Persphones talking. Wanting to eavesdrop, I hide behind the corner, listening closely.

"But part of you wanted to see me, be honest." I heard Hades say quietly.

"I will not confirm nor deny that, Hades. He asked, and I showed up."

"But when I asked, you practically ignored me." I heard the hurt in my sister's voice.

Persephone scoffed. "Think of it as a taste of your own medicine." I heard the sound of heels clicking. Getting scared of being caught, I moved to walk away, but I heard a gasp.

"You know I was going through my own shit. It wasn't on purpose. My family is fucked up in every way possible, which took a toll on me. I hate that it hurt you; I never wanted that." it wasn't rare for Hades to talk about her feelings, but for her to go to specific depths was new.

It seems our father fucked us up in more ways than one.

"I understand you were hurting, but I didn't deserve to be shut out. I was there for you as much as you allowed me to be. That's not fair. You kept me at arm's length, and I grew tired of it." Persephone words cut in deep. They weren't even for me.

I was doing the same thing to Hera but for her own good. If she really knew how fucked I really was... she might not be able to look at me the same. I don't know how that's any different from how she's looking at me now, but it hurts all the same.

"Persephone-"

Persephone interrupted Hades. "I'm going to go sit down. Bye, Hades." The heels clicking grew closer, and I panicked. She rounded the corners, and when our eyes locked, I couldn't do anything besides give her a tight smile.

She sighed. "Hello, Zeus"

I cleared my throat, rubbing the back of my neck. "Hey, Persephone."

She smiled back. It looked pained before walking off.

Turning the corner, I saw my sister pacing back and forth in the short hall. She looked like she was on the verge of tears. "Y-you okay?"

She sniffed, and stopped pacing, then looked at me. "I'm fine. I think our future sister-in-law will attend a funeral right after her wedding."

I cringed. Yeah, Poseidon is kind of a dick for inviting Persephone. That man loves drama.

"I'm sorry," I say honestly.