Chapter 4

Kayra hadn't made it to dinner. As Tsireya and her had been making it back towards their Marui after spending the day with the Sullies, they'd met their father who had needed Kayra's help with something. Shooting a wistful glance towards Tsireya as she had scampered off to get ready for dinner, their dad had let Kayra down to the beach, explaining that it was a quick task and that she'd be joining her friends for dinner in no time.

An hour later, she was still carefully trying to untangle a fishing net that had gotten stuck between two large corals. Her dad had stayed with her, but he wasn't of much help since Kayra's task was to dive down into the narrow space between the corals, and the Olo'eyktan's shoulders were way too wide to enter.

She resurfaced for what felt like the millionth time, drawing in a long breath before diving back down. In the beginning, her dad had smiled at her encouragingly every time she'd resurface and say some encouraging words. Now, the smiles had turned apologetic for having dragged her down here and causing her to miss dinner. He'd also a long time ago stopped the encouraging words because he'd learned that Kayra got more annoyed than actually encouraged.

He was sitting in a small boat, patiently waiting for Kayra to get the net untangled, sharpening a knife that had gone dull. He had earlier explained that Kayra wasn't allowed to cut the net in order to free it since it was the last thing that his grandmother had made for him before she had passed, so Kayra was stuck with the job of having to try and untangle the stupid mess.

She had thought that it would have been a quick job - having only to resurface two times at the most - so she hadn't gotten a gill mantle to help her breathe. Now, she was too frustrated - and perhaps a little too proud - to get one even though her father had offered to find one for her.

As the golden hues of the setting sun painted the tranquil ocean with shimmering reflections, Kayra's determination intensified. With a firm grip on the tangled net, she exerted all her strength, feeling the resistance give way bit by bit until, with a final tug, the net surrendered.

Breaking through the water's surface, she triumphantly thrust the net into the air, "Kayra: 1, stupid net: 0!" She grinned at her dad who laughed at her as he began to haul the net into the canoe.

Kayra gripped the edge of the boat to stabilize herself as she began to help her dad to get the net up quicker but he shooed her away, "Go on," he urged with a playful glint in his eyes, "maybe you can still catch the last of dinner." He said, and Kayra didn't need to be told twice.

Her father's encouragement was all she needed. Hoisting herself up quickly so that the canoe was at a slight angle, she planted a swift, affectionate kiss on his tattooed cheek, a spontaneous display of gratitude that inadvertently sent a spray of water droplets his way. His laughter followed her as she propelled herself back into the inviting embrace of the water, her lithe form slicing through the ocean's surface with practiced grace.

She hoped that Teol hadn't left yet; she felt bad for not even giving him an explanation as to why she hadn't been at dinner. Otherwise, she'd just seek him out so that he could show her whatever it was he had planned.

She made it to the bonfires just as water was splashed upon the already dying embers, the smoke rising in the air, curling like dark clouds. Grumpily sighing at how typical the situation was, she was forced to stop abruptly in her haste, nearly crashing into Neteyam.

"Kayra, there you are." He grinned, looking down at her, "Is it bad that I'm a little disappointed you didn't crash into me this time?"

Kayra's stomach curled but she refused to show it, "It is, yeah." She glanced around, seeing a few of her friends at the other side of the bonfire, chatting idly. She let out a breath of relief as she spotted Teol sitting in the middle, ever the entertainer. Focusing back on Neteyam, she noticed that he was alone, "Where are the others? Your siblings?" She asked.