Chapter 1

Kayra squinted through the sunlight, covering her eyes with a hand to block out the sharp rays that beat down through the canopy above her. Ducking her head to avoid being blinded, she crouched down to get a closer look at the footprints in the mud. They disappeared into a lake just before her and they were still fresh, which meant that the creature had just slipped into the water.

Tightening her grip on her spear, she slowly made her way into the cool water, careful not to disturb the water too much. The gentle babble of a nearby waterfall lulled her into a sense of calmness as the water swallowed her, and her feet sunk into the mud-like sand. Drawing in her breath, she dove under, gliding close to the surface to get a better overview of the bottom of the lake.

The crystal-clear water shimmered with hues of blue and green as sunlight filtered through, revealing a myriad of swimming creatures. They swarmed around her, brushing against her body, seemingly unaffected by the spear in her grasp. They moved past it effortlessly, as if unaware that a flick of Kayra's arm could end their lives instantly. But these creatures were not her target today. Only one creature should fear her presence.

Kayra glided through the water gracefully, carefully moving her searching gaze over the bed of the lake. She prodded at a rock with her spear gently, but nothing happened except for the rock tumbling slightly and settling a few centimeters to the right of its original position.

Kayra sighed inwardly. It would have been too easy anyway, she mused. Tsengo, though not rare, proved challenging to find. Their ability to blend into their surroundings, manipulating light and altering their appearance in size and color, made them elusive. Moreover, they only bred during the coldest season, their eggs hatching precisely half a year later on the longest day of the year. The Na'vi had to strike a delicate balance between preserving enough tsengo for breeding and meeting the Tsahik's requirements. Also, they were pretty aggressive, built for killing their prey with a single bite, so that made it slightly difficult as well.

Kayra's mother had entrusted her with the task of hunting the tsengo—a request she had eagerly accepted, yearning to gain her mother's approval. With her twin sister, Tsireya, now chosen as Tsakarem, Kayra's chances to prove herself had become scarce. It hadn't come as a surprise when Tsireya was selected over her. Kayra had never aspired to be Tsahik anyway; she had always been more drawn to her father's way of life—learning to fight, wield a spear, and hunt. Yet, since Tsireya's appointment as the future Tsahik and her older brother, Ao'nung, as the future Olo'eyktan, Kayra had faded into the background, becoming invisible and expendable.

Others might have harbored bitterness in such circumstances, but not Kayra. She relished the freedom from the pressures of leadership and the title of Tsahik. She could indulge in hunting, enjoy her time with friends, and live with the absence of responsibilities. To some point at least: she was still the daughter of the Tsahik and Olo'eyktan of the Metkayina. She still had some responsibilities. Her parents – mostly her mother – would have preferred that Kayra took her lessons and responsibilities a bit more seriously though.

But why would she want to please her parents when she couldn't really do anything right in their eyes? So, sure, she had inadvertently become the family's disappointment. But why should that weigh her down when it didn't really matter anyway? Why let the growing distance between her and her parents dampen her spirits? She had a world to see!

Her siblings, on the other hand, were always there for her, showing the love that siblings should. They teased, fought, and pretended to hate each other like all siblings do, and although Kayra would never admit it openly (except perhaps to Tsireya), she loved them.

Her life was comfortable, content. Nothing to complain about. She was the daughter of the Tsahik and the Olo'eyktan of the Metkayina clan. Sure, she sometimes strayed from the expected path, but it didn't matter because her future held no grand or extraordinary destinies.