Chapter 11. At The Village

"Assalam o Alaikum, Khan," a cheerful-looking old lady greeted them at the entrance of the Village Haveli, casting a slightly suspicious glance at Meerab.

"Wa Alaikum as-salam, Mayi. Ye meri biwi hai, inka khayal rakhiye ga," Murtasim introduced Meerab to her, turning to leave afterward.
(This is my wife, please take care of her.)

Mayi was taken aback by the introduction but didn't dare question her Khan's words. Instead, she warmly welcomed Meerab, "Aao bete, andar aao. Bahar khari rahogi toh thand lag jayegi."
(Come inside, dear. If you keep standing here you'll catch a cold.)

Meerab complied, stepping inside. The air in the village was noticeably cooler compared to Hyderabad and Karachi, and she appreciated Mayi's concern for her comfort. As she walked in, she couldn't help but feel a mixture of curiosity and anticipation about this new environment.

Mayi gently guided her towards the master bedroom. "Yeh Khan ka kamra hai, BibiJi. Ap aram karen, agar kisi bhi cheez ki zaroorat ho tou mujhe awaz de dijiye ga."
(This is Khan's room BibiJi. You rest well, incase you need anything you can call me.)

Meerab simply nodded, her gaze wandering around the room. The room was larger than necessary, with high ceilings and ample space. The centerpiece was a grand, intricately carved wooden bed that looked like a masterpiece. A full-wall window adorned one side of the room, offering a breathtaking view of the lush garden and a crystal-clear pool that lay beyond. The sunlight streamed through the window, painting warm patterns on the floor.

The decor was a perfect blend of traditional and modern elements. Richly colored textiles adorned the room, with vibrant rugs and cushions that added a touch of coziness. The walls were adorned with traditional art pieces that told stories of the past. A small seating area was set up near the window, complete with plush cushions and an intricately carved table. It was a room that spoke of luxury and comfort, a haven of tranquility amidst the bustling world outside.

As Meerab's gaze wandered around the spacious room, her thoughts drifted into the depths of her past, a past interwoven with secrets and unanswered questions.

In a flashback that felt both distant and vivid, she remembered the conversation with her parents. The words echoed in her mind, reminding her of a time when the truth was hidden beneath the surface of their interactions.

"Meerab ki shadi ki umar ho gayi hai iss ke liye rishte aa rahe hain ab," Anila's voice had carried a sense of inevitability.
(Meerab is now old enough to get married, I've been receiving proposals for her.)

But Meerab had stood her ground, her arms crossed in defiance. "Mein apne mama baba ko chorr kar kahin nahi jaaungi."
(I won't leave my parents.)

Her Baba's laughter had rumbled in the room, a warm sound that contrasted with her Mama's stern gaze. Anila's attempt to reason with her held a certain logic, a logic that Meerab couldn't yet fathom.

" Bete ek na ek din tou shadi karni hai na. Aise sari umar humare sath tou nahi rahogi na," Anila had tried to explain, a motherly concern underlying her words.
(You've to get married one day, you can't stay with us for our whole lives.)

"Hmm, phir aisa karein ap ek ghar damad dhoond len, kyunke mein tou kahin nahi jaa rahi," Meerab had replied, her words laced with determination, unaware of the deeper truths that awaited her.
(Then you should look for a ghar damad because I'm not going anywhere.)
(Ghar damad is a man who stays with his in-laws after getting married, idk what's the word in English.)

Now, in the present, as she stood in the master bedroom of the Village Haveli, the weight of her past seemed to press down on her heart. She had lived her life believing that her parents were her own, that their home was where she belonged. But the revelation of her true identity shattered that illusion.

Meerasim Ki Dunyaजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें