Chapter 3. Graduation

Continuing the story after Murtasim's POV

********************************

Meerab was feeling nervous and excited at the same time. It was her graduation day tomorrow. After 5 years of studying, exams, stress and sleepless nights, she was finally graduating as a lawyer.

There was a knock on the door. "Meerab Bibi ap ko Begum Sahiba dinner ke liye bula rahi hain." Saima Baji told Meerab and she nodded.
(Meerab Madam, your mother is calling you for dinner downstairs.)

Meerab happily went downstairs, humming her favourite song.
"Aray wah! Meri beti tou bohat khush hai aj." Waqas remarked as soon as he saw his daughter glowing happily.
(Wow! My daughter looks really happy today.)

"Baba I can't believe it. I'm finally graduating tomorrow." Meerab muttered excitedly.

Waqas and Anila chuckled softly. "Beta ek hafte se yehi bol rahi ho. Ab bhi yaqeen nahi arha?" Anila asked her daughter.
(You've been saying that for a week now. Why can't you still believe it?)

"Bas mama. You know na how much Baray Abu and Tayi Jan were against all of this. That's why I still can't believe that I'm a lawyer now." Meerab said as she seated herself at the dining table.

"Beta iss se yad aya, Anwar will be attending your graduation tomorrow."
(Dear I just remembered that Anwar will be attending your graduation tomorrow.)

Meerab groaned. "Why Baba?"

"Because he thinks of you as his own daughter beta." Waqas reminded her.

"But Baba he was the one who was against me becoming a lawyer in the first place." Meerab argued.

"I know beta that he was reluctant at first but now he's happy and proud of you. He'll be coming all the way from Hyderabad tomorrow, be nice to him." Waqas warned his daughter knowing that she didn't particularly like Anwar.

"Okay okay." Meerab didn't want to spoil the good mood at the dining table so she agreed.

In the morning when Meerab went downstairs she saw Baba sitting in the living room with Baray Abu and .... she gulped as she recognised the 2nd person; Murtasim.

Meerab hadn't seen him since that day but she knew that there hadn't been any engagement or any kind of commitment between Murtasim and Haya. But if they liked each other, she couldn't care less about it.

"Assalam o Alaikum Baray Abu", Meerab greeted Anwar as she sat opposite to both of them, beside her Baba.
(Hello Uncle)

"Wa Alaikum as salam bete. Kesi ho? Akhir kar tum apne Baba k tarah lawyer ban hi gayi MaShaAllah." Anwar greeted Meerab.
(Hello dear. How are you doing? Finally you've also become a lawyer just like your father.)

"Ji mei theek hu. Ap ka safar kesa raha?"
(I'm good. How was your travel?)

"Safar tou theek raha." Murtasim spoke up.
(Travel was okay.)

Meerab ignored him and turned to Waqas. "Chalen Baba? We're getting late."
(Let's go Baba. We're getting late.)

"Han beta chalo. Mei, Anila aur Anwar ek gari me aajayengy, tum Murtasim ke sath ao." Waqas smiled at his daughter.
(Yes dear let's go. Me, Anila and Anwar will go in one car, you can come along with Murtasim.)

With Murtasim? What was Baba even thinking? No way was she going with him. But Baba had especially asked her to be nice so she just stood up to head outside with Murtasim following behind.

Murtasim sat at the wheel, while Meerab opened the door to the backseat, not wanting to sit with him.

"Agay betho yaha." Murtasim said, his eyes boring into her.
(Come and sit in the front)