32.1 - Meet the Family (Kieran)

Start from the beginning

"Technically, you opened up to me before your ex broke your heart."

"That's true."

"Did you and your ex ever have a family supper like this?"

She shook her head, to his relief. "It never came up, and everyone already knew him."

"No wonder they wanted to meet me. I'm sparkly, new, and exciting."

That made Naomi laugh and rub his beard. "That you are."

He was unsure who closed the gap first, but as they kissed, he was consumed by excitement at taking this step and fear this would be her parents' first impression. He'd be lying if he said it didn't add an addictive rush to the experience.

"Nomi, we've waited all afternoon for you to grace us with your presence. Don't hide now," a man called from the opposite side of the wall.

Kieran jumped back, almost hitting his head on a hanging light fixture to her amusement. Naomi smoothed her hair and led them into the room without taking his hand. "Hey, Dad."

"There's my sunshine." He stood from the reclining sofa, proving which side of the family Naomi got her height from, although Kieran was still an inch taller than the guy.

The older man stepped around the oak coffee table and drew her into a crushing hug. As he pulled away, he rubbed her biceps before turning to Kieran.

"She sure shopped around to find you. What are you six foot three?"

"About that."

"This is my boyfriend, Kieran. Kieran, this is my dad, Cameron."

Kieran tried not to let the shock register on his face. He'd clarified that his feelings were only for her, but he'd assumed she'd need something more official to seal the deal. He almost preferred it this way. No pressure, just reassurance they were committed to each other. Unless she was only saying that in front of her family to imply this was more serious than it was.

"Boyfriend, huh? Even with that barbed wire in his face and that tattoo on his arm?" Cameron raised an eyebrow at his daughter.

Shit, Naomi had said it wouldn't be a big deal, but he should have pulled the barrel out like he did for work and thrown on a sweater.

Naomi scoffed. "Don't be an asshole, Dad."

"An asshole? That's how you speak to me now." Cameron's sarcastic tone contrasted his words while he folded his arms over his grey t-shirt, covering the faded NFL team logo. 

"I call it like I see it, old man. Be nice, or we'll leave."

"Give him a chance, Dad. He brought you beer," Jodie called from the adjoining kitchen. "And she must really like him if she's getting this defensive."

Cameron looked from his daughter to Kieran, his expression softening a touch. Before Cameron sat down, Kieran approached him.

"It's a pleasure to meet you." He contemplated adding sir, but the man's casual khaki shorts and t-shirt had Kieran thinking he wasn't the type who'd want a kiss-ass dating his daughter.

"We'll see." After they shook hands, Cameron's gaze shifted to the beer in Kieran's left hand. "Is that a full case?"

"Yes, it's a mix of drinks Naomi and I hoped you would enjoy."

Cameron eyed Kieran again. "You're either smart or guilty."

"Guilty of wanting to make a good impression."

The man chuckled. "Naomi can't resist a charmer, can she? You're hoping I'll overlook the tattoo and piercing, aren't you?"

"Dad," she muttered.