|18|: Calamity/وبال

Start from the beginning

"I do."

He repeated those words twice and that was it. He was a husband now. Closing his eyes, he just wished to Allah that this decision be right. Otherwise, he can never forgive himself. Ever again.
~~~~~~~~

The evening air was cool as compared to the heat during the day. The cool wind was like a balm after the torturous hot day. But this wasn't calming for Subhan as he alone stood in the porch outside. His cup of coffee was in his hands as he occasionally sipped from it. His mind was everywhere and anywhere.

What's going to happen next? How is he going to break this news to his family? What will be their reaction?

These thoughts were eating him alive. His family wouldn't take this decision lightly. He wasn't afraid of himself. He was scared for Safa. No matter what, he dragged her in this mess and he'll be damned to let any harm graze her. He would not allow that. Safa is his to protect. His to respect. His honour. And he'll do anything to take care of that.

He felt a pat on his shoulder and find Bua Ji standing before him.

"Have you met her?"

He sighed and shook his head. Their nikkah took place after Asar. It was close to Isha now. Natalia has called him three times already asking about his whereabouts, but he answered in one word.

"Why?" She asked.

"I don't know what to say." He expressed. He was feeling ashamed of how he was acting. He should have met her. This was the very big change in both of their lives. She was married to him for God's sake. His wife. And he was already neglecting his duties as a husband.

"Don't say anything. Just be with her."

He looked at her. As if to ask if that's going to work. She urged him to go and find out. So he did. He entered inside and slowly ascended the stairs. His steps faltering as he neared her room. The door was closed, but the peeking light was an indication that she was not sleeping. He put his fist on the door and lightly knocked as if not to startle her. Opening the door, he was greeted by the dimly lit room. In a corner he saw her, sitting while her knees were wrapped around her chest. She wasn't aware of his presence, so he coughed to gain her attention. That did the trick as she turned towards him.

She was changed into another attire now. The suit was dark purple colour. He almost felt bad that he couldn't see her in a white dress. She must have looked beautiful.

What the hell!

He cursed in his mind at the turn in his thought. Since when did he start acting like that?

When you sold your brain in the market!

His conscience mocked him.

"Asalamoaliukm." Her meek whisper reached his ears and he was suddenly aware of his surroundings. They both were alone in the room. They have been alone before, but it wasn't like that. This was pure. Inevitable since they are husband and wife now. He couldn't exactly stay away from her.

"Walaikum asalam." He answered her greetings. They both stood rooted onto their places. Not knowing how to initiate the conversation.

Safa gazed at her husband.

Wow!

The word felt different on her tongue. Just in a course of few months, she was married. The decision that was least of her priorities. Nonetheless, she was standing here openly gazing at the man in her room standing three feet away from her that was her husband. She noticed how he was still in the white kurta. The muscles of his arms were bulging. She averted her gaze before she embarrasses herself.