Two Days After the Letter ~ Dramarama ~ Nora

Start from the beginning

I get lost in a snippet of a memory about what happened last year. The events that killed my friendship with Miri. Ugh, I do not want to think about that right now. I pull my daydreaming brain back to reality, to the informal interview B is having with the new guys.

"Why'd you move?" B asks, keeping the introduction moving right along.

"Dad's job," Kaden blurts out. It seems like an odd thing to blurt out. Like, he's trying to say why they moved before his brother can. There must be a mystery there! Oh, how I love to unravel mysteries, especially when tall dark mysterious guys are involved!

"Oh, what's your dad do?" she asks.

"He's a lawyer," Logan explains.

"Yo, B!" Tyler calls out. "Let's play a game with the new guys."

"Yeah, let's do Villains Anonymous!" Stacy shouts.

"No, Suprize Party!" Drew pipes up.

"Story Story Die!" I call out.

"Shut up!" B shouts. "Learn some manners, people, jeez!"

Logan laughs.

"Drama freaks, I tell you," she says.

I can barely hear her over the chanting students. Half the class chants Story Story Die, and I join in, while the other half chants Suprize Party. She throws her hands up in the air. "Let the new guys choose the game," she shouts over the noise. "Hey, simmer down! Don't make me beat you with my sign!"

I roll my eyes. She tries too hard to be funny and hip and cool, and it comes off as a sad act. But she lets us play cool drama games. So I do enjoy my drama class more than any other class. It's my first period of the day too, so I get to start my day off with a fun class that puts me in a good mood.

The drama room is so cool. It's basically two classrooms joined into one huge room. Because the drama department is so important to our school, we get a double classroom. The main part of the room is open with an assortment of couches lining the three sides of the room, and down the center of the room too. We even have a few recliners.

B has a full-size refrigerator and a microwave on the counter near her desk. She sells snacks and soda to people to raise money for the drama department, and she always gives drama kids discounts. It's the best place to hang out after school. B always plays Dramarama and lets people stay and hang out.

"Hey, can we do World's Worst?" Logan says.

"Excellent game," B says. "Okay, we need two more players."

I jump up immediately, excited for the chance to join in a game with these two smoking hot twins. Tyler joins in too, which makes me roll my eyes. The racist idiot wants to ruin the game. Ugh, so stupid!

"Alright, Nora, Tyler! Okay, let's do the World's Worst part-time job or the World's Worst thing to say to your boss. Remember you're in school, okay? Keep it appropriate."

I step forward. "So, like, I know you only hired me for my smokin hot body and cute face, so I think I should get paid to stand around and look pretty." I tilt my head like a ditz as a few classmates clap or laugh at my joke.

Tyler steps forward, turns toward Logan, and says, "Here, take this toothbrush and go clean the toilets." He pantomimes like he's handing something to Logan.

"Eeeww!" B says, and a few others clap and laugh. But Logan makes a face, like he totally realizes that Tyler is being super racist. Just because the new kids look Latino, it doesn't mean their Mexican laborers that can be bossed around and made to do nasty jobs. Ugh! I hate Tyler!

Tyler backs up, and Logan steps forward.

Logan turns toward Tyler and pretends to shake something in his face. "So I cleaned your toilets with this toothbrush, and all I have to say is you can shove it up your—" Logan cuts himself off and glances over at B, and the whole room bursts into laughter. "Uh, I mean, shove it in your mouth. Minty fresh."

Wow, great line! He's clever and smart! I'm way sold already.

I'm so excited to go again that step forward before the other twin, I think his name is Kaden. I say, "So, that last customer totally hit on me. He called me cute and complimented my lame waitress uniform, so I gave him his food for free. Hope you don't mind, Mr. Boss Guy!" I laugh all ditzy-like. A few of my friends laugh at the clueless act I'm putting on. My jokes are so much better than Tyler's.

"Here." Tyler holds out something invisible to Logan again. "Go sweep the gravel parking lot. Make it snappy."

Logan pretends to take the broom. "Clean up on isle seven," he says like a sports commentator who is way too excited about a play.

Logan's brother Kaden doesn't go, so I step forward again. I open my mouth in a big O and pantomime eating a Popsicle.

"Nora!" B interjects. "Go sit down!"

"What?" I hold my arms out and stomp off to my couch, and the whole room roars with laughter. I blush. She's the one who made it gross. But my joke makes Logan and Tyler laugh so hard that neither one of them can talk. Tyler steps forward, but he's doubled over laughing and can't get the words out.

Then out of nowhere, Kaden finally joins in the game. He blurts out, "Now that's the suckiest job ever."

"Okay," B shouts over the laughter. "We're done."

~ * ~

~ * ~

1574 Words