139

NIKKI-SHE WENT out the door

NIKKI
-
SHE WENT out the door. "Just give her some time," I say to myself, "and in 10 minutes cut up some fruit, go out there, and tell her you're sorry."

Taking an orange I started to cut it up and rehearse what I would say. She sat outside with her feet in the pool, then I went outside and did the same.

"Hey."

"Hey."

Taking a seat beside her, I dipped my feet into the pool.

We sat there in silence just listening to the sound of her feet moving in the water. "I brought you some fruit," she kept her gaze forward.

"I'm not hungry," she stayed very monotone throughout the moment. Didn't even take a second to simply move her head and look at me.

"I am sorry," I start, "We can all go to El Salvador, it would probably be good to see the rest of your family, and I guess the country you're from."

A sniffle came from her nose and I realized she was about to cry, "I don't know why I'm even doing this," she crashes into my arms and sobs, "They don't deserve anything I am doing."

My hand rakes through her hair as I try to comfort her, "It's gonna be okay, but at least you won't have to deal with your mom again."

"Yeah," she looks up at me and smiles, "thank you."

I held her for what seemed like forever staring into her eyes, the way they reflected the light around us back at me reminded me of why I do everything I possibly can to make things easier.

For all of us.
-
The next morning I had to go to rehearsal with the band. Vince, he never showed up. So we tried to call him but he never answered and we continued to work on our instrumentals.

"He's still not here," Tommy sighs.

"Well call the fucker!" I yell, getting angrier by the second.

"Straight to voicemail," Mick says.

It was raining so I grabbed my umbrella and car keys. "What're you doing?" Tommy asks.

"I'm gonna kill this fucker!"
-
The band did some searching and we found him kickin' it at The Seventh Veil. He turned around and saw us then fear flashed across his face. "Fuck," he slurred.

"You know we're supposed to be practicing right now," I tell him.

"Mhm."

No one said anything for a few moments, Vince continued to watch whoever was up on stage and the moment he called for a dance I grabbed his collar, "You know I'm really tired of you, you put no effort into this band while the rest of us are working our asses off."

"You know what I'm tired of?" Vince looks up at me getting close to my face, "It's all about you, it's always been about you," his jaw clenches and then he grabs a shot from the waitress, "here's to your sober band."