Season 03 - Chapter 01 (11)

********************

Time Jump~

Gregory Fletcher's POV~

On a cloudless morning at the end of June or the beginning of July, four treehouses near the captivating Dragonfly Falls were days away from being finished. The Monkeys' two elevated shelters were to the east of the cascades, whereas the Birds' homes were to the pond's west.

All the treehouses were relatively identical, containing an imperfect ladder, a narrow balcony, and one roofed room with a front door and a pair of square windows. Inside the confidential enclosures were personal belongings and a bed or two made from broad leaves and stout sticks.

Austin and I lived together, and Lianne and Alayna resided in the treehouse across the vast trail between them and us. Susie and Wilfred shared a place, as did Juanita and Velma. So far, nobody had trouble since our first night of sleeping a suitable length above the rainforest floor.

Most of the clothes we had sported during the plane crash were officially deemed unwearable due to the amount of work we constantly put into the treehouses, so nowadays, Alayna was creating grass garments for our lower halves and coconut bras for herself and the other women.

Right now, I was sitting by a low fire and skinning a water snake I had caught closer to Dragonfly Falls while the blond made some minor adjustments to our treehouse with a vine. Near me, Lianne was doodling in the survival guide that had expanded since our relocation from the cave.

When I eventually finished cooking the deceased reptile's delicious meat, I passed equally-sized portions to the islanders around me, then summoned my boyfriend. "Breakfast is done, Austin!"

The Holmes member climbed down his and my ladder and grabbed his fresh food, thanking me by planting a hard kiss on my forehead. "So... what's the plan today, Monkeys?" he questioned.

Alayna motioned to the plethora of crafting materials on either side of her. "Unfortunately, I still have enough on my plate, so if you're hinting at wanting to go anywhere, I'll have to hang back."

"Well, Velma and Juanita should be coming over any minute with the next tablet. If they're on to something, a few of us will be taking off today. I just want to know who those 'few of us' will be."

"Probably you and Greg," Lianne, whose head had healed, presumed. "Now that I'm done with the treehouses, I need to get back to writing this guide. Speaking of, I'm almost out of paper."

Austin nodded. "Make the most out of what you have left. When you're done with your making, Alayna, and your writing, Lianne, you can finally start coming on these little excursions with us."

"I'm looking forward to that. I know you guys haven't found anything interesting lately, but assuming Velma and Juanita are putting the pieces together correctly, I'm already jealous."

"It'll be the biggest find so far, for sure."

As Austin began organizing a pile of cylindrical logs he had chopped into firewood, I gave my complete focus to my best friend. "I've been meaning to ask, how have you been holding up?"

Lianne shrugged. "Better, I guess. Busying myself with the treehouses and the survival guide keeps it off my mind, for the most part. When it's not, I just... remind myself it was necessary."

"I think that's exactly the best thing to do, especially because it was necessary. Being honest with yourself in that way instead of coming up with lies to force yourself to feel better helps."

"Yeah, I can tell. I wish I could also tell when it would never be on my mind again, though, or that if it is, I wouldn't think too much of it, you know? How long am I going to be this broken, Greg?"