Season 01 - Chapter 05 (05)

********************

Gregory Fletcher's POV~

Austin, Lianne, Alayna, and I were speechless at the sudden sight of the pilot, who looked like he had gone through Hell and back more than once. Even the brunette did not know how to speak to the reveal of her coworker, but he knew what to articulate to us as if he had been rehearsing.

Frank quickly held out a feeble hand to impatiently motion for us to follow him. "You four must come with me right now," he demanded in a quavering voice. "We-we have little time to waste."

My black-haired friend quirked a brow, confused and somewhat anxious. "What's going on?"

"And where have you been?!" the flight attendant queried. "We tried looking for you all over after you took off without a word to anybody. Isaac had something to do with it, didn't he?"

"I can't explain at this moment! We have to go!" Frank insisted pleadingly. "There... there is more to this place than the eye can see, and you, the Monkeys, must be aware of its infamous tales."

Offended, Lianne crossed her arms in front of her chest. "Monkeys?" she scowled. "We haven't been living here long enough to start living in the damn trees, Frank. Don't call us monkeys."

Alayna was more baffled than insulted, presumably because she knew the shabby captain better than any of her group members did. "What the hell are you talking about?" she tested seriously.

"Come with me," the elderly Frank encouraged with a waving gesture, "and you will find out."

As the leader of the tribe, Austin took a step forward. "No," he refused, "it's way too late to be heading farther into the jungle. If you want us to go with you, you'll have to wait for morning."

Frank frantically shook his head. "You have no idea what this place is, and-and neither do your friends," he claimed. "We must leave now! This is no joke or a matter that can be taken lightly!"

I shook my head. "I'm not going anywhere right now," I denied. "We have no weapons, no light, and there might be, like, big cats or other nocturnal animals out there. I'm not risking anything."

"Yeah, I'm staying here for the night," Lianne, troubled, stated.

"I am too, Frank," Alayna said resolutely. "Whatever you have to show us is not worth wandering through the jungle at this time of night without any source of light; it's just way too dangerous."

"Let's all turn in, okay?" Austin kindly commanded. "Tomorrow, I'll let you tell us more and take us to where you want to take us, but we're tired right now, and it's not safe to go out, all right?"

The hesitant captain swallowed, contemplating as his black pupils grew larger. "Waiting any longer may be a mistake, but it may also be best if you all were more attentive after a night's rest. We must leave at first light tomorrow morning, though, not a fraction of a second later."

As Frank sauntered into the shallow cave, the rest of us cast spooked and worried glances at one another. Nobody knew how else to react to the suspicious pilot. Ultimately, Austin headed to the fire to snuff it out totally while the women and I joined the nervous captain inside the grassy hill.

Silently, Alayna rested several feet away from Frank on the hard earth along one stone wall, and Lianne and I lowered by the opposite. The golden blond posted upright near the cove's open entry to better protect his people before sinking onto his side and laying his head on his bicep.

Frank was the first person to fall asleep, and he did so swiftly despite having something crucial on his mind. The other survivors and I shut our eyes, too, but I could tell by the minutes of tossing and turning that we were thinking about the possibilities tomorrow had in store for us.