034: Two Sides

The group were sat around Ricky who was holding his phone so everyone could see it

The group were sat around Ricky who was holding his phone so everyone could see it. Playing on the screen was the promotion video for North High's production. Which was now, all of a sudden 'Beauty And The Beast' instead of 'The Little Mermaid'.
"Oh my gosh, that's what's- her- name, Lily, from out auditions." Seb says. "She isn't just Co-directing their show, she's starring in it."
"You mean perfect pitch, looks like an actual Disney princess, super fangirl/ mean- girl Lily?" Summer asks from her spot in-front of everyone.
"I'll go with yes." EJ says.
"I remember her vaguely." Summer says.
"Thank you all for coming so quickly on a Saturday. Or most of you all." Miss Jenn says entering the room with hula-hoops while Carlos was carrying a bag of pool noodles. "We're missing a tea- pot and a village idiot."
"Uh, I think Kourtney and Big Red at the pizza place." Ricky says.
"Kourtney texted in the group, they said they couldn't get anyone to cover their shifts." Seb says, causing EJ and Summer to hit his shoulders.
"Oh... I didn't see that text." Miss Jenn says.
"I meant the group chat with me, EJ and Summer." Seb says before giving Ricky and Summer a awkward thumbs up.
"Well, back to the matter at hand. I can tell from your solemn faces you've all seen... the video." Miss Jenn says.
"Yeah." Stephanie says.
"It's incredible. Even I have no notes." Carlos says. "I can't believe they stole our show."
"I think their Lumiere is an actual French exchange student." Ricky says.
"Miss Jenn, how are we suppose to beat North at the Menkies. If they're churning out this a second after changing their musical?" Ashlyn asks. "It's like..."
Everyone starts talking over each other until Miss Jenn claps.
"Wildcats! Take heart." Miss Jenn says. "North High is clearly focusing on bells and whistles. Impressive. But distracting. All we need is..."
"Friendship?" Seb asks.
"No, Seb, all we need is to get back to basics." Miss Jenn says. "Emotional performances that really connect with the audience, can make all the differences with these judges. And I have a plan. Which is why you've all been called in here today. And that plan is... a weekend acting intensive."
"Acting intensive, like..." EJ asks.
"Improv. Character work. Movement exercises." Miss Jenn says leaning on the mats behind her and kicking her legs. She then spots Gina on her phone. "Hey, Gina. Gina. Are you here?"
"Mm, yeah, yeah." Gina replies.
"We're going to really connect with our characters. And impressive performances, not fancy staging or actual killer wolves, will be our key to the gold. And don't forget, we have something North High doesn't."
"Friendship?" Seb asks.
"A brand new original song for The Beast and the Rose." Miss Jenn says.
Miss Jenn had asked Ricky and Nini, who had now been casted to play the human representation of the rose, to write a song for the show.
"Yeah!" Summer cheers as they all clap.
"Um, and, how's that coming along you guys?" Miss Jenn asks.
"Uh... not good." Nini admits.
"Okay, Ricky you stay here with me for deep dive Beast character work. Nini, take the weekend, skip the workshop, and get a first draft of the duet down for the Beast and the rose." Miss Jenn tells her. "Okay."
Summer and Ricky walk over to Nini who was getting ready to leave.
"Hey, call me after every verse, okay?" Ricky tells Nini. "If you need any help, that is."
"I'll try." Nini says.
Nini then leaves and Summer turns to Ricky.
"You okay?" Summer asks.
"Yeah. Just a little antsy." Ricky says. "Tonight's the big night."
"Ah. Miss Jenn's first date with your dad." Summer says.
"Can you lower your voice?" Ricky asks her. "It's one thing to see them flirting on the sidelines, but it's another thing for it to be an official dinner."
"Ricky, Summer! We're circling up in 30 seconds." Miss Jenn tells them.
"Okay, thanks Miss Jenn." Summer says. "You know if you need to talk I'm here, right?"
"Yeah, I know." Ricky says. "Thank you."
"Of course." Summer says. "Come on, now let's go get them."
Ricky jokingly crosses his fingers causing Summer to laugh and push his shoulder as they walk back to the group.