Part 26) Jealous, Party of One

Author Note: This was the first chapter I wrote that started the whole book, I wrote it with no intention of making a book off of it, but obviously that changed. Important to note, there are a few continuity errors to say the least. I have tried to fix them, but I defiantly could have missed a few. So ya, just keep that in mind, lol, sorry. Thank you, love you guys! <3 <3 <3

Steve P.O.V.

She was late to the party, a gala hosted at Stark Tower for a charity. It was black tie, and while I had grown used to it with all the events we had to attend as Avengers, I still hated the bow tie. I don't know why, but I was never a huge fan of them.

Bruce was at the bar and just seeing him made me see red. His treatment towards Natasha was somehow getting worse and worse every interaction I saw the two of them have. Something needed to be done, and quickly. I was thankful she wasn't here, at least she was getting a break from him, anytime the two of them weren't together eased my anxiety a bit. I knew if things were bad while they were out in public, it could only be worse behind closed doors. This was actually killing me.

I was no closer in my plans to kill him, I had thought of everything. I had also become rather good with tech, enough so that I had FRIDAY running simulations for me on my ideas, secretly (not that I fully trusted the AI not to nark me out to Stark). Either way, I didn't have anything helpful yet. So, I kept working and waiting for something to figure itself out. 

A half hour passed, and now I was getting nervous. She almost always arrived when she said she would, and she had said five minutes ago forty five minutes ago, and I had this horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach that something wasn't right.

I downed the rest of my drink and took a deliberate step towards the elevator when it opened to reveal her. She was wearing an absolutely stunning black floor length dress with a slit nearly up the whole length of her leg. I knew it was supposed to be a tight fitting one, but it seemed to hang loose on her. The neckline was plunging dangerously low and was held up by two lace sleeves. Fuck, she was the most beautiful woman to ever exist (yes, the use of 'language' was more than valid here). She was hanging on Barton's arm, smiling up at him. What I wouldn't give to be in his shoes, I missed that smile so badly it physically hurt.

They saw me and started to saunter my way, it was clear that Clint was deliberately leading her away from the bar, away from Banner. "Nat!" Bruce called her over from the bar, my head snapped to him in anger (which was fine since I was on the balcony and plenty far from him).

She paused and I saw fear in her eyes, just a momentary flash, but there none the less. She gave a polite and fake laugh and turned from Barton to walk to Bruce. Clint quickly placed himself back with her and reoffered his arm for her to take, she took it and I saw Bruce's eyes flash in anger. Clint was making sure she wasn't dealing with Banner alone, I couldn't be more thankful that she had Barton right now. Clint was very established as her best friend so Banner wouldn't get (as) possessive when the two of them were together. If it had been me, we could have a potential code green on our hands. All I could do was discreetly watch.

They reached him and he offered his arm, basically shoved it into her, and forced her to move from Clint to him. Maybe he was just so damned insecure about her because he knew she was twenty thousand leagues above him, or maybe he was just a possessive asshole. I hated him for it either way.

He grabbed her head and pulled her into a kiss, while she had expected the move from him and acted accordingly, her back was stiff. Clint ordered two drinks, one for her and one from him. At the beginning of all this, when she would still talk to me, she had said the only time any of this was bearable was when she was drunk. Unfortunately her tolerance was incredibly high, despite the weight loss, and it would take more alcohol than 'socially acceptable' to get her buzzed... and it was probably safer that she was sober around him. I didn't know how far he would really push it tonight, but it would be best for her to have her wits about her with him.