13

Jieun POV

One month later...

I sit at my usual spot on the rooftop during lunchtime, enjoying the quiet solitude and the view of the school grounds below. As I take a bite of my sandwich, I notice Minho walking towards me, his usual confident demeanor replaced with a sorrowful expression. I can't help but feel a pang of annoyance, remembering the times he tried to sabotage my friendships with Wonwoo and Mingyu.

But then, I see tears in his eyes, and something inside me softens. Despite my reservations, I put my lunch aside and look at him. "Hey, what's wrong?" I ask gently, trying to hide the irritation in my voice.

He hesitates for a moment before finally speaking, "My grandfather just passed away. I just got the news, and I don't know how to deal with it."

I feel a tug in my heart, recalling the pain of losing my own parents suddenly. Although I don't particularly like Minho, I understand grief all too well. "I'm so sorry to hear that," I say sincerely. "Losing someone you love is never easy, especially when it's unexpected."

Tears stream down his cheeks as he opens up to me about the special bond he shared with his grandfather. Despite our past conflicts, I listen attentively, offering him a shoulder to lean on. "It's alright to feel overwhelmed with emotions right now," I say softly, "grief is a natural response to loss."

He sniffles, wiping his tears with the back of his hand. "But why am I crying so much? I didn't think it would hurt this much."

"It's okay to cry," I reassure him. "Crying doesn't mean you're weak; it just means you loved your grandfather deeply."

Minho looks at me with surprise, as if he didn't expect this kind of understanding from me. "You're right," he says, trying to compose himself. "I guess I just needed someone to talk to."

I nod, my initial resentment towards him fading away. "It's okay, Minho. Sometimes we all need someone to lean on, especially during tough times. If you need anything, I'm here for you."

He gives me a weak smile, appreciating the unexpected support. "Thanks, Jieun. I didn't expect you to be so kind to me, especially after everything that happened between us."

I sigh, realizing that despite our differences, compassion should always come first. "Well, we may not be friends, but we can still show empathy towards each other," I say with a small smile.

"If you need someone to talk to or just sit with, I'll be there," I say, trying to offer some comfort to Minho.

He puts his hand on my shoulder, thanking me for my support, and I nod in response. Just then, Mingyu and Wonwoo enter the rooftop, and Mingyu immediately confronts Minho aggressively, "Didn't the beating last time teach you to leave Jieun alone?"

Wonwoo jumps in, adding to Mingyu's warning, "Seriously, stay away from her. We don't want you causing any more trouble."

Minho's sad state suddenly turns to anger after Wonwoo's threat. "Why should I listen to you two? Who do you think you are?" he retorts.

Wonwoo fires back, "We're her friends, and we care about her well-being."

Minho scoffs, "Oh, you care about her? What's so special about her anyway?"

In the heat of the moment, Wonwoo angrily confesses, "She's my girlfriend, and I won't let anyone hurt her."

Minho's expression turns even darker as he lashes out on me, "Girlfriend?! What the fuck, Jieun?! How can you date a jerk like him when I'm here?! Are you stupid?!"

I'm taken aback by Wonwoo's sudden announcement of our relationship, but before I can process it fully, Minho's words leave me stunned. I can't find the words to respond, and I simply look at both of them, feeling a mix of anger and confusion.