sixteen

I sit with my family in our drawing room.

"There is still no new Whistledown," Peter states.

"Not since Miss Sharma's accident," Lydia states.

The morning after the Bridgerton ball Miss Edwina fell from her horse. She has not woken up since. I feel for her whole family right now.

"May I not visit Eloise today?" I ask.

"No," Charles tells me.

"It has been a week," I argue.

"No," Charles repeats.

"You realise she will just sneak away?" Lydia offers.

Charles looks at me. "Not if my sister desires to be allowed to our country estate. Disobey me and you will be staying in London while the rest of us enjoy the summer in the country."

I sigh as I cross my arms and lean back in my chair. I know I cannot win this argument.

I sit with Pen in her room. I have no desire to listen to her mama drag on and on about Prudence's engagement.

"Have you spoken to Eloise?" I ask.

"No." Pen shakes her head. "Have you?"

"No," I tell her. "Charles threatened to leave me in London if I am seen sneaking to the Bridgerton house."

Pen nods her head. "My mama has forbid me from seeing her too."

"Has your mama not been planning a ball?" I ask.

Pen sighs. "That is all she has been speaking about as of late."

"Does she plan to invite the Bridgertons?" I ask.

"She thinks she is doing them a favor by extending an invitation," Pen tells me. "Like we were not in the same situation last year."

"I do hope they attend," I confess. "If only to see El."

I walk down the street with Lydia. We have just come from the market. I see Pen and Eloise outside the modiste. El waves me towards her. I turn to look at Lydia. She is distracted by something in a shop window. Without a second thought I break away and rush towards my friends.

"I realize you are not to be seen with me, but spare me just one moment," El tells us.

"Eloise..." Pen starts.

"The print shop where Theo works was, in fact, Whistledown's," El informs us. "He has told me everything."

"Eloise, I thought you had quit your hunt," Pen states. "Were Whistledown's words not enough?"

"You are not listening to me!" Eloise shouts. "I am going to find her now!"

"Do not scream at me!" Pen shouts back.

"I am... I'm sorry. I..." El says.

"People know you... you have been speaking to him," I warn. "Theo."

"There's been gossip about you and a man from the lower classes," Pen tells El. "You had to have heard people talking."

"Who?" El questions. "Who is talking?"

"Servants. Those who have heard it from their houses," Pen informs her. "My sister asked me about it the other day."

"I thought I had been discreet," El admits. "Are you quite sure?"

"Lady Whistledown has done you a favor," Pen tells her. "If she were to find out about this and write about it, then... Your family are already in a great deal of trouble. You've been consumed by thoughts of her for far too long. First, you love her. Then you hate her. It is enough. I cannot... I do not want to hear about it anymore. This scandal of yours will soon pass. I look forward to the day when things'll return to how they used to be between us."