six

Being friends with Eloise Bridgerton has made me an expert in sneaking out of my own house. She showed up at the servants' door telling me I needed to come with her. That is how we arrive at the servants' entrance to the Featherington household. Penelope opens the door.

"I have a theory," Eloise tells us.

"Eloise, it is quite late," Pen tells her.

"I have already told her that," I explain. "She would not listen if you can believe it."

Eloise ignores us both, "A good theory about Lady Whistledown. I thought she had to be a servant, but I was wrong, quite wrong. Because who truly has the time and means to be that remarkable? Who would be invited to all of the parties, able to hear things unnoticed by others?"

"Perhaps we can discuss it tomorrow," Pen offers.

I nod my head. "I agree with Pen."

"Lady Whistledown is someone free and unencumbered by society," Eloise continues. "She is a single woman of means. Better yet, she is a widow, who would be invited to all of the events but not paid any attention. While you were both at the ball..."

"Eloise, I do not care!" Penelope shouts. I look at her alarmed by the sudden outburst. "People have real problems, mature problems, problems that have nothing to do with the secret identity of some silly writer."

"And you are so mature now?" Eloise questions.

"Well, I am of age," Pen reminds her. "I am out in society. Therefore, I have more important, mature things to worry about."

"Like what?" Eloise questions.

"Like marriage," Pen offers.

Eloise scoffs. "You do not care about marriage."

"What if I do?" Pen shouts. "I cannot expect you to understand. Not everyone can be a pretty Bridgerton."

Eloise backs away with tears in her eyes.

"Eloise, I did not... Eloise, wait!" Pen shouts.

I look at my friend torn between anger and pity. There was no reason for Pen to shout at Eloise. But Pen is under more stress than Eloise can understand. Being out in society under the scrutinizing eyes of everyone in the ton is stressful beyond what one can comprehend. When Eloise debuts she will have the Bridgerton name to back her. Penelope does not have that luxury.

"Ruth..." Pen starts.

"Let her go," I tell her. "Speak to her tomorrow. When cooler heads prevail." Pen nods her head. "I will be there. We will work this out."

I sit outside in the garden. I am hot and still a little angry about what happened with Eloise and Pen. It is not good for one to go to bed while angry.

"Ruth?"

I look over and see Colin walking towards me.

"What is happening?" Colin questions. "Why are you outside at this time of night?"

I pull my dressing gown tighter around me. "It is nothing you need worry about."

"Does it have to do with Lord Broadmore?"

"No" I shake my head. "Everett and I..." I start.

Colin interrupts me, "Everett?"

"Yes," I tell him. "That is Lord Broadmore's Christian name."

"And he has allowed you to call him by such?" Colin questions.

"Yes," I inform him.

"I had not realised you two were so..." Colin starts.