seven

Dearest gentle reader, I must send felicitations to the new Duke and Duchess of Hastings. Congratulations and stamina as they embark on the most exhilarating time in a young couple's life. I am, of course, talking of the honeymoon. Is there a more romantic notion? To retreat from society together finally leaving watchful eyes behind.

While this author, along with the rest of the ton, will certainly miss its most-remarked-upon couple back in London, perhaps we might find solace in the promise of the duke and duchess

returning to us bearing a surprise.

Today there is the grand picnic to attend. It is a rather boring event. I spend my time pointing at various flowers while Lydia makes up the most absurd names for them. It is a game well suited for children, but it brings me joy.

"However would I make it through these events without you?" I ask Lydia.

She laughs rather loudly. "You would simply have to name all of these plants yourself."

I spot Eloise with her own family. We wave at one another.

"Are Eloise and Penelope still not speaking?" Lydia asks.

I shake my head. "Not at the moment."

"I do not think I have ever seen them go this long without speaking," Lydia confesses.

"I know," I tell her. "It is horrible."

Colin hits a glass with a knife drawing the attention of everyone. "May I have everyone's attention? I would like to make a small but important announcement. I have happy news to impart. I have asked Miss Marina Thompson to be my wife, and she has accepted."

"Did you know about this?" Lydia asks me.

"No," I tell her.

"I did not think Colin and Miss Thompson were serious," Lydia confesses.

"I did not believe so either," I tell her.

"Perhaps it will be you next," Lydia offers.

I smile widely. "Perhaps it will be."

I spot Pen standing with her own family. I make my way towards her.

"Pen."

"Did you know?" Pen asks.

I shake my head. I know I should not lie but the truth will hurt her more.

"I had no idea," I tell her. "And judging by the looks of the Bridgerton family nor did they."

"I did not think he would actually propose," Pen confesses.

"Neither did I," I tell her. "I thought Miss Thompson were a passing infatuation. The sparkling new toy for everyone to fight over." I sigh. "We cannot do anything about this, Pen."

Pen nods her head. "I know."

"But we need not be happy about it," I offer. "It is not the end of the world if you and I do not approve after all."

"I suppose you are right," Pen states.

I laugh lightly. "Dear Penelope, I am always right in matters of the heart."

After what happened today, I find myself unable to sleep. I knew this moment would come but part of me hoped it would not. That somehow for some reason Colin would not announce his engagement to Miss Thompson. That it would cease to exist.

"Ruth."

I do not even need to look to know Colin is standing in the garden.

"She would not like this," I state.