twelve

We all know the great lengths a young lady will go in pursuit of a proposal. And apparently, she will travel great distances too. Lord Anthony Bridgerton appears to be inching ever so closer to selecting his viscountess, and to that end has invited our diamond to join him for an excursion at his ancestral home, Aubrey Hall.

I sit in the Featherington drawing room with Penelope. Lady Featherington is sitting with Prudence on one of the sofas. She is waving a fan around Prudence.

"Flutter it so, to draw his eyes to your bosom," Lady Featherington instructs. "There. And remember to laugh at his jokes. Every man wishes to be thought a sharp wit."

The door opens and the new Lord Featherington walks into the room. "Good afternoon."

"It is a good day, indeed," Lady Featherington says. "It's hot, though. Is it not, Prudence?"

Prudence gets the idea and fans her bosom. "Yes, it's very hot. Unseasonably so."

I give Pen a look. Whatever this is it is painful to watch.

"Mama, might I return to the modiste?" Pen asks. "I need new ribbons."

"Not now, Penelope," Lady Featherington tells her. "Uh..." Lady Featherington clears her throat. "Prudence was just asking about the Americas. Were you not, Prudence?"

"I... Yes," Prudence says.

"You have an interest in travel?" Lord Featherington asks.

"Adore it," Prudence tells him. "I mean to say, I would adore it. I... I have not been further than Sussex. Mama says everywhere beyond Hampshire is positively uncivilized."

Lady Featherington chuckles softly. "How she jests. Dear Pru is... such a wit."

"Well, the Americas are certainly further than Hampshire," Lord Featherington says. Prudence cackles loudly. "Oh, I have invited the Cowpers to dinner this evening."

"The Cowpers?" Lady Featherington questions. "Uh, could this have anything to do with the necklace you gifted Miss Cowper, I believe it was?"

"Do I need a reason to enjoy their company?" Lord Featherington questions. "You'll make the arrangements? Venison, perhaps?"

Prudence sighs as Lord Featherington leaves the room. "It did not work. Cousin Jack did not glance once at my bosom."

"Stop calling him that." Lady Featherington takes the fan from Prudence. "And stop that too."

Pen walks with me to the door.

"Is your mama trying to make your cousin Jack fall in love with Prudence?" I ask.

Pen nods her head. "Yes."

"That is..." I start.

"Disturbing," Pen offers.

I laugh loudly. "Very."

Pen smiles at me. "I have not heard you laugh in months."

"I know," I tell her. "After everything that happened, I am just trying to get back to me."

The Bridgertons' are hosting everyone at their country estate, Aubrey Hall, for a ball. Charles and Lydia do not seem to think I should have to go.

"It is a week in the country," I remind them. "I am not going off to join Wellington."

"I know," Lydia tells me. "But it may be too much for you."

"Stop treating me like I may break," I tell her. "It is not helping any of us."

Lydia sighs. "I am just trying to look out for you Ruth."

As I walk out of the drawing room, I hear my name being called.