fourteen

A march down the aisle may very well be the longest walk any young lady ever takes. It does not simply cover the length of the church, but rather, countless floors for dancing, and meandering paths for every afternoon promenade too. It is a wonder, then, that feet do not tire or, heaven forbid, trip under the scrutiny of all those attentive eyes keeping close watch, indeed.

"Ruth."

I turn and see Colin walking towards me. Though by the looks of it he has surely been celebrating with Anthony and Benedict for Anthony is to be married tomorrow.

I laugh. "Colin."

"Ruth," Colin repeats.

"You seem to be having a good time," I remark.

Colin laughs as he sits down beside me. Or rather he sits almost on top of me.

"Anthony was going on about his duties of being a first-born son again," Colin tells me. "That he is required to have a viscountess. And soon we will have a tiny Anthony to contend with, running around, declaring all of his tiny duties too, no doubt."

"If he is happy, you must simply support him," I tell him.

"I know," Colin tells me. "But I do not have to listen to him drone on about his duties."

I smile. "Is that why you ran away?"

Colin nods his head. "I just stepped out for some air."

"Anthony's apartments are on the other side of Mayfair," I remind him.

"So I ran away," Colin tells me. "I cannot hold my drink like Benedict. If I stayed any longer, I was not going to make it to the wedding tomorrow."

I laugh as I stand up. "I think it is bedtime for your, Colin."

"A few more minutes in the fresh air," Colin tells me.

I sit back down beside him. "A few more minutes."

I arrive at the wedding with my brothers and Lydia.

"This is overdramatic," Peter states.

Lydia elbows him. "This is Her Majesty's wedding."

"I thought it was Anthony's," Charles remarks.

"Do not start," Lydia warns.

I spot Pen walking into the chapel. I leave my family to argue with themselves.

"Pen," I greet.

Pen smiles. "Ruth."

"We should find Eloise," I tell her.

With little effort we are able to find Eloise speaking with Colin.

"It is a wonder Ruth and I have found the two of you in the midst of all this opulence, is it not?" Pen remarks.

"Quite. Her Majesty's fondness for the diamond exceeds even what Lady Whistledown suggests," Eloise states. "Daphne's wedding was not nearly as extraordinary, and she married a duke."

"Perhaps the queen requires our attention in new ways," Pen offers. "The weight of the Crown is quite heavy. Perhaps she seeks to prove herself still significant and equal to the task."

"Is that not the plight of all mankind?" Colin questions.

"I believe it is," Pen tells him.

Eloise scoffs. "Do not indulge him. He has been insufferable since returning from Greece. Or was it your visit with Lady Crane?"

"The cause does not matter nearly as much as the truth," Colin tells her. "One must make a name for oneself if this life is to mean anything at all."

"A noble pursuit," Pen tells him.

Colin smiles. "Thank you, Pen. It is surprising that you and Eloise remain so familiar when you could not be less alike."

"What can you mean?" Pen questions.