two

I sit in the drawing room with my Lydia and Charles. I sit on the lounge by the window. The morning after a ball is the time for callers to come by.

A servant comes into the room. "A caller, ma'am. Earl Broadmore."

My brother looks at me surprised. He knew that I danced with Earl Broadmore last night, but I do not think either of us believed he was ready for marriage. Lydia on the other hand hounded me about our dance the moment we returned home. She insists that Lord Broadmore had his eye on me the whole night.

I smile as Lord Broadmore walks into the room.

"Lady Ruth," Lord Broadmore greets.

I was ready to have to fake my interest in Lord Broadmore. Truly I was. But I am even more impressed by the reality that I did not have to. In fact, I was a little sad to see him go.

Lydia sits herself down beside me and smiles.

"Lord Broadmore is rather nice on the eyes," Lydia tells me.

I can feel myself blush. "I suppose."

Lydia laughs. "You were almost drooling over him."

"I was not," I protest.

"Yes, you were," Lydia insists. "But I dare say he was doing the same because of you. You could have a proposal by the end of the season."

I try to not act too excited. "You truly believe so?"

Dearest reader, this author finds herself compelled to share the most curious of news. It seems our diamond requires a closer inspection. As such, an even rarer jewel of only the most remarkable brilliance, fire, and luster has been unearthed. Her name, unknown to most, yet soon known to all, is Miss Marina Thompson. This author is left to wonder whether Her Majesty might reconsider the high praise she once afforded Miss Bridgerton for we all must know what the queen despises more than anything... Being wrong. And the drawing room at Bridgerton House currently appears to be emptier than the muddled head of her dearest King George.

It follows that Lady Featherington is to receive what she has always desired: the season's true Incomparable living under her own roof. She must be overjoyed.

After entertaining my own caller, I head across the street to the Featheringtons. I nearly run into Colin as he is coming out the front door.

"Colin?" I question.

He smiles at me. "Ruthie."

"Do not call me that," I insist. Colin laughs. "Who were you calling on?"

"Miss Thompson," Colin tells me.

I try to hide the disappointment on my face. Part of me was hoping he was here to see Pen for some reason. That maybe he has not fallen for the allure of Miss Thompson.

"I see," I say. "Well, I really should head inside. I promised Pen a prompt arrival after my own callers left."

Colin nods slightly. "Of course."

I am nothing but distracted as I sit in the Featheringtons' drawing room with Eloise and Penelope.

"Lord Berbrooke called for Daphne this morning," Eloise tells us.

"Lord Berbrooke?" Penelope asks.

"Surely Daphne could do better than Lord Berbrooke," I insist.

"I think anyone would be better than Lord Berbrooke," Eloise reasons.

"And what of you, Ruth?" Pen asks. "Have you any callers?"

I smile as I nod my head. "Lord Broadmore has been round a few times."