22

Once the room was submerged in silence, Raelynn observed the space. It was a bachelor's cave. Boring navy blues draped over the windows and bed, the closet was full of black and grey suits, a huge television hung across the bed, and not a single family portrait was in sight.

There were no hints of women in the place, either. There was one toothbrush in the bathroom.

When she found a notebook, she flipped to the very last page and began scribbling. This time, instead of writing a cruel note that caused destruction, she wrote progress.

She made a roadmap. Once Maksim was done breathing down her neck and open to conversation, she would explain her fucked up past, the ties she knew he had to the mafia, how the toxic combination forced her out, why she wrote that letter, and why she hid the pregnancy.

Her reasons were irrational. She knew that now, and hopefully Maksim gathered enough empathy to understand that she lost the battle against her demons.

Explanations -> He understands -> He forgives -> We move on.

Then there was the alternative.

Explanations -> He hates you -> He takes the babies.

It was unlikely, or at least she hoped it was. Six months of festering in sadness had gone by, and that was enough to change a man.

She stared at the alternative. If Maksim took the twins, she would crack mentally. She didn't own much, but she would bare teeth for the babies.

What if he took one?

He only knew about one twin. Would it be okay to separate the twins? Was it worse to separate them, or give up on both of them altogether?

She pulled at her hair. She hated both options, but she had to choose one in case Maksim went down the path of destruction.

There was a knock at the door.

"Miss..."

Raelynn pulled the door open and stared at an older blonde woman. She was the maid Maksim had mentioned.

"Just Raelynn is okay."

"Nice to meet you. I am Bernice. Mr. Kuznetsov has asked me to prepare a few meals for you. Do you have any allergies?"

She fidgeted. "No. I just can't eat peanut butter."

"Do you have any preference?"

"Not really," she replied, tugging her t-shirt over her bump.

Was this old lady judging her because she was pregnant with no ring? Did she not care?

"I understand. Please give me half an hour to prepare some things."

Exactly thirty minutes later, Raelynn was staring at a Thanksgiving buffet. Not wanting to be rude, she tried to eat as much as possible. As she ate, she scanned the place for a phone. She really needed to call Tiffany.

"Thank you for the food."

Bernice frowned. "You have not finished. Mr. Kuznetsov sent me a list of dishes he wanted you to have."

"They were delicious, but I'm full. Do you want me to help you pack these up?" she slid off her seat and pulled her shirt down.

Bernice looked uncomfortable.

"Is something wrong?"

"Mr. Kuznetsov will not be pleased that you did not finish."

"There's enough food here to feed the entire building. He'll understand I couldn't eat it all. Oh, I know." She waddled to the door which was unlocked but guarded by two suited dudes that stood like statues.