Chapter 56: Concern

Start from the beginning

"Don't forget, Tomo. Yukako and Haruna are coming back to school on Monday. They've been gone for a while and missed a lot... Sumire is trying to help Yukako catch up." Hinako's words were followed by a small giggle from Hinako and Aina, earning themselves a snort from the pigtailed brunette who didn't desire to acknowledge that comment with an answer.

"It would be easier if Yukako wasn't so stubborn," Sumire signed softly, allowing her head to shake from side to the side. Yukako snorted again from beside her, slamming her hands down on the table before sitting back.

"Let's be real, Suu. When are we ever going to need any of this? Most of the crap we're being taught right now is going to be completely useless to us in the long run," Yukako said, waving her hand through the air as if to dismiss to the subject. Tomomi could hear Sumire sigh again, a small smile coming onto the quiet brunette's face as she watched the friends in front of her.

"It may be useless in the long run but it's useful now if you ever want to graduate high school, Yukako," Sumire shot back in a matter-of-fact tone that caused Yukako to sneer at her. The pigtailed teenager was unable to answer though before a small laugh interrupted her.

"You know you're not mature when a fourteen year old is more mature than you," Hinako teased the brunette lightly.

"As if you're one to talk, Hinako," Yukako shot back at her. Tomomi had to admit that the back and forth between the friends was making her feel a bit better. It was almost starting to feel normal again to see the group of friends lightly teasing each other like this.

The normal atmosphere that had grown amongst the group was interrupted when the sound of chair legs scraping against the tiled floor caught Tomomi's attention. She kept her body still but glanced up, peering through the hair that hung in her face and turning her vision to the blonde who had pushed herself out of her seat. The brunette had waited for Mami to say something but the teenager didn't. Instead, Mami merely turned and left the table without uttering a single word from any of them.

Tomomi's vision fell back down to the table, her body squirming slightly in her seat. There had to be more to it. She remembered what Hinako had said but it couldn't just be a headache causing Mami to act like this. Even if Mami did get irritable when she was in pain, this felt somehow different to Tomomi. She couldn't help but feel like there was something more that she didn't know.

"Don't worry about her, Tomomi."

The sudden words from Aina caused Tomomi's attention to snap over to the teenager who had previously been typing away on her phone. The short haired brunette attempted to give Tomomi a reassuring smile but the younger teenager could swear she saw the falter smile. Did Aina even believe her own words not to worry?

"Mami just has a pretty big headache today and I think she's worried about Haruna and Rina. She's overthinking and bothering herself so she's put herself in a bad mood. It's common with her, you know this by now. Don't worry about her. I'm sure she'll be fine by tomorrow."

She wanted to ignore it but she couldn't. Tomomi could hear the way Aina's tone had faltered and changed as she spoke despite her efforts to control it. The brunette might not always be the brightest when it came to these things but even she could see that Aina worried for Mami's behavior that was odd even for the blonde. What was Tomomi supposed to say or do? There wasn't anything she could say or do. It's not as if Tomomi exactly knew how Mami was feeling.