CHAPTER 14

MEGAMIND'S PoV

"She left. You can stop hiding now."

I raised my eyes from my laptop which showed the footage of Mia's car rolling out of my front gate. The screen was placed opposite to Sid's prying eyes, so I just glared at him.

"I wasn't hiding. I am just afraid she will see my face and remember me."

Sid scoffed and even I could hear how uncertain I sounded.

"If you ask me, I would say you are afraid she will see your face and not remember you."

I wanted to wipe off the 'I am right and you know it' look on my brother's face, but that would mean he won. Though, I doubt my confirmation or denial was going to do much to his already inflated ego and smugness. But what he said was true. I know she doesn't remember much from the night because the drug that was used to spike her turned out to be really potent and a memory eraser. It has been running around in the market for a while but I didn't think someone would try it on her. Anyway, she might not remember me at all, and it kind of pissed me. All those memories were fresh in my mind and I could still feel blood rushing down to certain areas of my body but I know it can never be visibly hard, only her presence can make it happen. It also pissed me that I can't move on from an almost one night stand when she doesn't even know what all happened that night. She just moved on with her life as if I didn't even exist. Just thinking about it was pissing me off again.

"I am going to my room. If you are done ogling at her, look into the Japan deal. It might bring help to both the parties."

Sid dodged the notepad I threw at him and waved his hand before exiting the room. We were in the system room, out of prying eyes. I didn't want to confront Mia right away I wasn't ready for it, so I asked Margaret to tell a lie. Sophia still doesn't know we are here, because I was afraid the fan girl in her would prevent her from lying to her idol.

I have been watching them through the CCTV and something tingled in my spine on seeing how naturally acquainted she became with everyone. Her smile was pure and she joked around as if they were old friends. The house was oddly filled with laughter and loud noises. Mia was a loud speaker, you could hear her from anywhere. And though I hated having someone disturb my silence, it felt lively, like an actual home. Even Sophia looked like she finally had someone to talk to. The other females were all busy and Sophia had trouble being friends with anyone. She was picky in choosing friends. But with Mia, it all felt natural.

Mia. That's how she introduced herself to me. And though I later learned her actual name, I stuck with Mia. The name only called by her parents and I think her ex.

I watched from my window as she and Sophia walked around, and I also saw how everyone was smiling at her, silently inviting her into the family. My marriage news was a surprise to everyone, but none of them asked me any details, nor do I ask theirs, so it was all fine. We live together, but we rarely engage in other people's business. This estate was built after the demolition of our orphanage. Whoever thrown out that day, got a space here and it continues to do so. But, I wonder if it was ever considered a home. A dormitory perhaps, a free hostel, temporary shelter. That was it. We were all there for each other, but were we connected as an actual family? The answer was sadly no.

I donned on a shirt and made my way to the kitchen, lingering outside the large double door that once gave way to my room. There are CCTV's everywhere, and we only turn it off if it's accommodated. I saw how excited she was to see the room and how her eyes widened in amusement when she heard about the death in here. Mia was your typical girl who would sleep watching murder documentaries or listen to spooky audiobooks for relaxation.

I saw Margaret on my way out, and she was sitting on the sofa, her eyes glued to a novel she was reading for a while now. Her oval shaped spectacle barely positioned itself at the tip of her nose and on hearing me, those hazel orbs settled on me.