CHAPTER 4

Xander nor I didn't have to wait for long to contact each other. The megamind contacted them in the middle of the night to arrange a meeting with the negotiator. He didn't even mind having an audience and the way Xander mentioned it thrice while we were on our way to the FBI building, proved to me this was another unusual behaviour from the mega mind's part. According to the officials, the mega mind always sets a one on one meeting with the negotiator and that too didn't have any opinions regarding the choice of the negotiator. So what has changed now?

We parked on the basement that was flooded with cars and I assumed all the politicians I have met yesterday were inside along with infinite Government officials. Just great. I felt so out of place, like an extra piece of a jigsaw puzzle that was wrongly packed.

With trepidation I walked behind Xander and the older man I met yesterday, whose name if I remember correctly was John, and I was accompanied by Dennison who had a sleek looking suitcase in his hand. It was checked by the officials once we were inside and even I had to go through a series of inspections. It all felt too complicated and movie like.

"This way, Miss."

John led me to a medium sized auditorium that dimly lit with golden light. The room was painted in a dark blue colour, and on my right side were seats arranged in podiums where a minimum of fifty people can sit and on the ground level was a large Mahony table where on side numerous chairs were placed and the table was packed with laptops, land phones and cables, making it look more untidy than it actually is. On the opposite side of the wall was a large projector that was turned off. Uniformed men mixed with suit clad mens and I could already identify few of the people sitting on the stadiums as the politicians I met yesterday.

"Hello, Miss Harper. Are you ready for a last minute briefing?"

I turned to find Elizabeth, looking meticuluos in her ironed brown suit and even though she must be only a few years older than me, the constant worry lines etched on her face made her look a lot more older.

"As ready as I can be."

She gave me a stuff yet genuine smile and I followed her along with Dennison. About thirty minutes into the session, a police officer rushed to us and he had a printed paper in his hand.

"The megamind has sent a fax. The meeting starts in ten minutes."

I glanced at my watch that showed 11.20 A.M. My pulse began to pick up and I had the urge to lock myself in a bathroom and not leave until everyone left me alone.

"It's going to be alright."

I jerked my body a little as Xander held my arm unexpectedly. When did he come? Despite his reassuring face, my nerves refused to settle down. It was in fact having a melt down. Should I make a run for it?

Xander guided me to a chair next to the large table, where a single phone was pushed towards me. This was supposed to be our mode of communication. I badly prayed my voice doesn't shake or give away once I start speaking. Dennison was given a seat as well, but a little distant from me, and Xander took his position next to him. Great, I was on my own. The sound my watch felt defeating even amidst all these chattering and I even thought my hearing sensation heightened overthe past five minutes. Just two minutes before the minute hand touched 6, the fax machine next to me whirred and I jerked in response. An official rushed to my side and his widened in shock.

"He is insisting for a video conference."

Silence. Pin drop silence. But then all hell broke lose.

"He is playing with us."
"Megamind has never done video conferencing before."
"Shouldn't we connect the projector?"
"He is purposely trying to make her nervous."
"Is he allowed to show his face?"
"What the hell do you mean by video conferencing?"
"Is the bastard finally coming out of his hide out?"
"Should we turn on the camera?"