CHAPTER 9

The black velvet gown hugged my curves like a second skin and the v neck plunged down enough to show my cleavage. It was a little difficult to breathe as the push up bra constricted my flow of air. But hey, it was worth it to see my non existent valley between the breasts look so genuinely plump. I wouldn't even know if someone groped me because the sponge was at least a layer thick. I wasn't interested in implant surgery as the idea of someone exhuming my body years later and finding silicone with my skeleton weirded me out. No thank you. I have my push up bras and hip pads for the time being.

The mermaid tail of the dress swept the pristine clean floor, and I wondered if someone would trip on it and fall while I was climbing the stairs. Or even I could trip on it as well. I sure as hell hope I won't be embarrassing myself tonight.

"Are you sure you don't want a date today?"

My manager, Albert, asked and I shook my head at him. He was my fifth manager and he was already fed up with me, but I kind of liked him. Albert reminded me of my distant uncle in Amsterdam who had a phobia for spiders.

"No celebrities are interested in becoming my date and a fake one was going to attract negative attention. We can't do that now, especially since our new album is releasing next week."

He knew I was right and he shrugged his shoulders. I knew I was going to look pathetic walking on the red carpet alone, but it will have to do for now. I called River to ask if she was invited to the function and she said she was, but she was not going. She was going to Peru to attend some function in an orphanage with Eugene. If only I could cancel these events like her. River never faked her personality like me, and everyone expected her to be a bitch. But me, I was the opposite. I was this social butterfly whom everyone found friendly, though I was far from it.

Sitting on the limousine comfortably was harder than I thought and the dress made the large vehicle feel claustrophobic. The function took place ten minutes from the hotel I was staying at but it felt like a lifetime. The camera flashes and the numerous security personnel was the first thing I noticed while entering the venue site and I prepared myself to smile widely at the cameras. I will sure as hell be exhausted by the end of the function, fake smiling and hearing false compliments.

We waited behind the queue of cars and I sighed in relief as I finally reached the entrance. The cameras were already pointed at me and though they couldn't see me because of the tinted glass, I could see everyone. I waited for the valet to open my door, as was the custom but it took several minutes.

"Is something wro...."

My words were cut short as I noticed the now enthusiastic reporters, nearly knocking down the barricade as they tried to snap pictures and take videos. What is happening?

Several suit clad men in brown surrounded my car and a tight barricade was formed. What in the world is happening here? They pushed back the reporters and even some other celebrities. Then one of them wearing a black velvet suit opened my door and extended his hand for me to take. The first thing I noticed was the bright blue eyes that somehow reminded me of Gojo Satoru from Jujutsu Kaisen. It was definitely contacts, but it suited his tanned skin that stuck out of his masked face. The black mask covered the lower half of his face and his long hair covered his forehead and reached till the nape of his neck. Somehow I suspected it was a wig.

"Everyone's waiting, wife.'

Megamind. It was the megamind, in flesh and blood, in front of thousands of people and reporters. What was he scheming?

I stared at his extended arm, his cufflinks shining in the bright light. My mind was freaking out in every way possible but my body was numb. I couldn't even lift my pinky finger if I tried. I was literally paralysed.