Chapter 2. Change

Mulai dari awal

"Kai, Nya, home here!"

Kai and Nya sighed and headed to the living room, Kai thinking they were going to be told some bad news like them having to stop school or Rita cutting their budget even more than she already had. Or maybe it was some type of an additional punishment for ruining her dress. Or just a beating. That would've been nothing new.

However, as they stepped in, they were met with a sight more surprising than anything they could've imagined.

Rita was holding a toddler. A toddler with unbelievably thick, blonde hair and gorgeous emerald eyes. He was small and cute to a fault, but also quite thin and seemingly avoidant. His eyes were traveling from one spot to another, not lingering on anything in particular.

"Kai, Nya, this is Lloyd. He is a bit over a year old and I've decided to start fostering him too. You will be sharing your room with him, and I need you to also look after him whenever you're not at school," Rita told them. "You'll have to learn how to feed him and bathe him."

Kai and Nya glanced at each other, then at Lloyd, and then at Rita again. Kai, as well as Nya, were at a complete loss for words. They knew nothing about taking care of a toddler, but were suddenly expected to be able to manage one with all their pre-existing work. When would they have the time? They had so much housework they could barely do their schoolwork in the evening, let alone take care of a whole entire living being.

"Um, Miss… I don't know if we can," Nya dared to say.

Kai flinched, scared for both himself and his sister. Rita did not look happy at Nya's comment.

"And why not?" She asked, putting— or more like dropping Lloyd down on the couch.

Nya gulped. "Just that… we have a lot of house- and schoolwork to do every day and the baby looks like a lot of extra work."

"Listen here, you little pests," Rita growled, taking a step closer to the siblings. "I have given you a home, food and everything you currently have even though I didn't need to. I still don't. I have been a saint towards you ungrateful brats, so the least you can do in return is help me with the housework and that," she pointed at Lloyd, who let out a scared whimper. "If you don't have time to take care of him, may I suggest you work a bit harder and get your chores done earlier? You'd have more time."

Kai stepped in front of his sister. "But Miss, we're as fast as—"

"Quiet!"

Lloyd started to cry loudly behind Rita, which seemed to only infuriate the woman further.

"Shut your mouth, you little animal!" She screamed, making the little one cry harder. She then turned to the Smith siblings. "Take care of him or you're going back to the streets with the exception that this time no one will rescue you!" With that, she stormed out, slamming the door behind her.

Kai bit his lip and stood still, whereas Nya hurried over to Lloyd, clumsily picking him up.

"It's okay, don't cry," she comforted, bouncing the toddler.

Lloyd was hysterical by now, screaming his head off.

Kai came over and looked at the toddler in search of some hints about what he needed. "Maybe he's hungry?"

That had definitely been it. The minute Kai pushed a spoonful of rice into Lloyd's mouth, he stopped crying altogether and became rather quiet again. The three sat in the kitchen, all thinking about their respective problems, whatever they were to each. Kai was mainly thinking about how on Earth they were going to survive all the work they had now, Nya's problems seemed to be something along the same lines, and Lloyd's concern appeared to be the small piece of paper towel he wanted to reach but couldn't.