✧ ˚ 39 · thirty-nine .

Start from the beginning

Principal Morita's voice sliced through the background noise, a mix of annoyance and authority directed at a mischievous drone pilot that flew past their heads.

Reaching Peter's locker, Ava exchanged a friendly smile with the group of cheerleaders standing nearby, familiar faces from their shared participation in the gymnastics club. She shifted her attention to Peter, observing his practiced movements as he skillfully manipulated the combination lock. With a soft grin, she leaned in to speak, her voice warm amidst the hubbub of the hallway.

"Hey, I'm going to catch up with Liz. I'll catch you in first period," Ava said, her affection for him evident in her gaze. Before parting, she planted a gentle kiss on his cheek, Peter's cheeks flushed slightly at Ava's affectionate gesture. He watched her navigate through the crowd with her usual grace, a sense of warmth lingering from her kiss. Once she was out of sight, he focused on his locker, retrieving his books for the upcoming class.

He felt somebody come up behind him, "Join me," Ned mimicked Emperor Palpatine, "and together... we'll build my new Lego Death Star."

Peter's brows furrowed in a mix of confusion and amusement. "What?" Turning to look over his shoulder, he saw Ned holding a miniature Emperor Palpatine Lego figure.

Beside them they could hear the cheerleaders commenting on their interaction, "So lame. Why does Ava Stark hang around with them?"

Defending his friend's idea, Peter retorted with genuine excitement, "No way! That's awesome. How many pieces?"

Ned answered with a sense of pride, "Three thousand eight hundred and three."

Peter's eyes widened, impressed. "That's insane."

Ned's excitement radiated as he presented his plan, his voice carrying eagerness. "You want to build it tonight?"

Caught in a momentary hesitation, Peter eventually shook his head, a tinge of regret in his expression. "No, I can't tonight. I've got the Stark-"

Ned finished Peter's sentence with a knowing nod, "Mm-hmm. Stark internship."

With a determined tone, Peter reaffirmed, "Yeah, exactly."

Gathering his textbooks, Peter started to move down the hallway, and Ned naturally fell into step beside him.

Ned's tone took on a hint of humour as he continued, "Always got that internship. Is it something to do with Ava? Can't she get you out of it?" He inquired.

Peter let out a small chuckle at Ned's question, shaking his head in response. "Nah, it's not that. Ava's great, but you know how it is. Gotta earn my keep at the Stark internship. Plus, it's not like I'd want to skip it anyway. And hopefully, soon it'll lead to a real job with them."

"That would be so sweet."

Peter agreed, "Right?"

Ned continued his playful speculation, painting a humorous picture, "He'd be all, 'Good job on those spreadsheets, Peter. Here's a gold coin.'"

Peter's amused gaze met Ned's, who responded with candour, "I don't know how jobs work."

With a grin, Peter concluded, his tone light, "That's exactly how they work."

Ned's excitement continued in his voice, "Oh." He chuckled, "I'll knock out the basic bones of the Death Star at my place. And then, I'll come by afterwards..."

As Peter walked, his steps involuntarily slowed, his attention pulled away from Ned's words. His eyes were drawn to Ava, who happened to walk past the corridor's end, surrounded by her group of friends, including Liz and Betty.