"I see... Do you have any family?"

"Why the sudden interest?" I got taken aback by his tone.

"I'm just making conversation. They are fairly normal questions to ask when you want to get to know someone."

"Look, I'm just doing my part of the job. I would rather not have you ask me questions."
Damn, what crawled up in his butt today? I didn't say anything back and just stayed silent. I would rather not piss him off some more. What if something did happen and he just let me die because I annoyed him? I didn't want to take that chance...

.

I had never been happier in my life when we drove into the familiar driveway of my father's mansion. It was one really long ride and it felt like decades after my failed attempt to make conversation. I caught sight of Asher, who was standing near his car, talking to one of my father's men. I got excited and jumped out of the car the minute Antonio came to a stop.

"Ashh!" I squealed as I ran up to him.

"Elsaa!" His face brightened up when he saw me. I jumped up to him, wrapping my arms around his neck and he held onto me, spinning us around and making me laugh in the process.

"Shit, did you get shorter?" He put me down to my feet and put a hand on top of my head to measure.

"Fuck off. I'm wearing sneakers today, you bully." I playfully smacked his hand away from me.

"You've been missed. It's boring without you guys here." He pulled me into a tight hug again.

"I've missed you too! At least we can spend some time together now. I'm leaving my mom's in a few days and thought I would hang out with you guys for a bit."

"Sure thing." Asher looked behind me and saw Antonio leaning against the car, watching us.
"What is he doing here?"

"Just making sure I get back and forth safe." I shrugged.
"Where's dad?"

"In his office. I'll come with you." He wrapped his arm around my waist and led me upstairs. I took a quick glance at Antonio to see if he would be okay. He was already looking our way, glaring at Asher's arm around me.

"My beautiful figlia!" My father said excitedly as we entered his

"Hi, papá." I gave him a kiss on his cheek and hugged him. My smile disappeared when I looked at the dark circles under his eyes.
"Are you not getting sleep?" I frowned in worry.

"Don't you worry about me. I have just been working a lot lately." He gave me a dismissive wave and sat back behind his desk.

"You have to be careful, papá. Don't work too hard. You can have Asher do the hard work."

"Hey!" Asher protested and I stuck my tongue out at him.

"How's the wedding preparations?" My father asked.

"Good! It's going to be so beautiful. Tessa has been killing me with all of her demands, so it's nice to be away a little." I chuckled.

"Good, good." He nodded and shared a quick look with  Asher. Before I could ask if there was something wrong, the phone rang. My father picked up the phone and I turned to Asher.

"I thought we could all go out somewhere. The weather is nice so why not enjoy it."

"As long as there is food, I'm down with whatever." I seconded it. If there is one thing we both shared, it was our love for food. I turned to look at my father when he hung up the phone and got up from his office chair.

"Sorry, figlia. Something came up that needs my presence."

"Oh...." I tried not to look too disappointed but failed as he embraced me.