Chapter-5 : The Choice

The Sangeet was going great

The Sangeet was going great. Haya, Ira and Shayra were about to perform as well. I was at the pani puri stall having unlimited pani puris. These are the few things your really miss after leaving your country. When the announcement came for the next performance I quickly left I couldn't miss their performances but not that quick because I was struggling with my saree. I hated wearing saree. That's why I never wore one until now. They look pretty on others but I feel insecure in it. I was rushing through the venue when something pulled me back. Shit it was my saree. The little jingles decided to get stuck to something. The first thought in my mind was finally my bolloywood moment. I was excited but I turned back to find myself in an awkward situation. It got stuck to someone's watch who was in no mood for these things. The ghost- except he wasn't a ghost he was real. He looked at me for a few seconds and then decided to change his expressions to as if it was all my fault. He immediately freed my saree from his watch. But his sudden pull caused one of my jingles to break. My eyes widened. My mother was going to kill me.

"Areeh" I exclaimed. He raised his eyebrows as if daring me to say anything else.

"You- you could have done it gently" I said trying to be brave.

"Then you should have stuck your saree to someone else I am not that person." he replied nonchalant.

"I didn't get it stuck on anyone it just happened-" I replied

"How do all these things just keep happening to you? God has gifted everyone a brain sometimes you should try to use it" he said walking away before I could say anything.

What does he think of himself. I swear if I hadn't done the mistake of walking into his room earlier I would have shown him how I dealt with people like him. But my thoughts were broken when my mom came.

"I am glad you already met him" she said gleefully.

What was she on about? Met who? Why would she be glad if I met a "him" ? My mom wasn't like typical parents who had problems with their daughters having guy friends or anything but she never seemed to be so happy about any him.

"Met who" I questioned

"Him" she said pointing at the figure which was walking away in the distance after ruining my saree which thankfully my mom hadn't noticed yet.

"Why?" I questioned skeptical.

"Because that's who we have in mind" she said smiling. Have in mind for what and then it hit me.

Flashback : 3 months ago

My parents had started the topic of marriage. After a certain age they start nagging you. Though I was only 24 about to turn 25 in 4 months. I had no problem with it because I would have to do it one day or the other. Honestly speaking I had a lot of plans for my marriage since I was 15. They had asked me if I had someone in my mind then they would move forward with it. But I was useless in this field. My studies never gave me enough time to maintain a relationship so I didn't. Hence, they decided they would look for a guy themselves. My parents had a higher set of criteria for the guy than even I did. So they had been unsuccessful so far. But now they found a guy. How did this guy even fulfill their list. Seeing their list I thought such a guy wouldn't even exist in real life. So I was living my life carefree because they had rejected about 50 proposals themselves even before the matter came to me.