Ch. 1 - A glimpse from the past

"Ate ko, will you marry me when we grow up?"

Shock was evident in the girls eyes.

"i promise to be the most patient person who would always stay by your side. We'll go against the world together, just like in movies!" The girl excitedly exclaimed as she hold the girl's hand.

Overwhelmed, the girl gently nodded giving the most genuine smile she had ever given to anyone.

Stoned, the the little girl fell in love with the girl's smile that she saw for the very first time after a years of living under the same roof.

"Ate ko! you smiled! was i the reason??? was it because of me???" the little girl asked as she keep jumping on the bed, miserably failing to hide her excitement.

The girl chuckles as she couldn't handle how cute the little girl was, how excited and innocent she was.

*mwuah!*

"I'm going to tell tita and tito that I'm going to marry you ate ko!" the little girl screamed while running as she made her way down stairs.

Couldn't react, the girl was left stunned on her sit. holding her lips and realizing that someone just stole her first kiss. Someone who ran out right after, just to tell her parents she's going to get married with their daughter.

_____

"Earth to Kathleen!"

I suddenly went back to my senses. 'that again'

"You okay Kath? Kanina pakita tinatawag. It's been 2 minutes since the last bell, you're going to be late."

" Aww. Yeah, I almost forgot. Mauuna na ko trix, thank you."

I then hurriedly took my things with me before heading out of the office.

" Good morning, miss Harris"

"Ang ganda talaga ni ma'am"

"Hi Kathleen"

" Sinagot na kaya ni ma'am si sir travis?"

" Good day po ma'am"

Iilan lang yan sa mga bulung-bulungan at mga pagbati galing sa mga estudyante at kapwa ko teachers. Sanay na 'ko marahil madami na din ako narinig na mga issue patungkol sakin sa nag daan na dalawang taon kong pagtuturo dito sa paaralan. Sa kabila non ay wala akong pinatulan ni isa. Wala din naman mangangahas kalabanin ako dahil alam nila ang kalalagyan nila sakin.

"Good morning class" I greeted as soon as i walked into the room, making sure to keep a straight face. I want to keep my image as a strict teacher. I don't need friends for me to be friendly. I need their respect.

*Knock knock*

Hindi pa man nakakabati ang mga estudyante ko ay nakarinig naman kami kaagad ng katok mula sa pintuan. Dali dali ko itong binuksan habang magkasalubong ang dalawa kong kilay. 'tsk. The audacity'

"Ma'am Harris, Good morning po. Sorry to interrupt your discussion po pero pinapatawag po kayo ni miss Morton sa office. Regarding po ata sa up coming badminton competition 3 months from now." Mahabang paliwanag ni Claire, sekretarya ng principal.

"Okay, I'll be there in a few" I said before closing the door.

"Class, I want you to read lesson one from your book and kindly answer activity 1 and 2. To be submitted tomorrow. That's all, class dismissed."

Mabilis kong kinuha ang gamit kong naka patong sa lamesa at lumabas na din agad ng classroom. Unang araw ng klase naabala agad ang pag tuturo ko. Hindi ba pwedeng pag tapos nalang ng klase? Dali dali ko nalang nilakad patungo sa principal's office para matapos na to.

"Pasok nalang po kayo miss Harris. Inaantay na po kayo sa loob ni miss morton." Sabi ni Claire pagkarating ko sa harap ng pinto kaya hindi na ako nag abalang kumatok pa.

"Good morning principal Syrene. Pinapatawag nyo daw po ako?"

"Ah Yes. Come in, Kathleen. I would like to talk about the up coming competition. Please, have a sit"

" What about it ma'am? "

" Nag karoon kasi ng maliit na problema. Coach Glen had go take a leave for a few months. Maselan daw ang pag bubuntis ng kanyang asawa at sya lang ang pupwedeng mag asikaso dito. Hindi padin alam kung kaylan ito makakabalik o kung makaka abot man ito before ang competition to train the student that griffin university will choose for the competition." She explained. I kept silent waiting for her to continue.

" As of the moment wala pang available na papalit kay Coach. It wasn't supposed to be a problem until a news came in just yesterday evening. The competition was moved two months from now. Naka pili ka na ba ng estudyante? "

" Hindi pa po. I was planning to ask miss manalo if ever she has a student na may potential, since she's a P.E teacher ng 3rd year students. I think she might know someone"

Principal Syrene nodded and tried to check something on her laptop, until a knock interrupted her.

"Come in."

"Miss Morton, sorry to interrupt but Mr. and Mrs. Dixon is here for their appointment to discuss something daw po."

" Is that so. Kindly tell them to wait for me out side." Sabi nito sakanyang sekretarya at muling bumaling sakin.

" I guess that would be all for now ma'am kathleen. Please do update me kung sakaling may mapipili ka na. We only have less than two months left." Simple lang akong tumango at tatalikod na sana ng bigla itong mag salita muli.

"And one more things before you leave. I know you're an alumni here in Griffin University and i also know that you're a former player of the badminton team. I just have a favor to ask, I would like to appoint you na ikaw muna sana ang humawak sa estudyanteng pipiliin para kompitisyon. Yon ay kung ayos lang sayo? Don't worry, you'll be the one to arrange your training schedule so that it wouldn't be such a hassle."

'me? Why me???' Yes I've been a badminton player back then but I haven't played ever since. Yes, I do miss playing but-

"Sure, miss syrene. No problem" I said with a small smile.

Wala na din naman akong magagawa kahit pa tanggihan ko ay ipipilit padin saakin. Just like how she did it at the competition night ng mga teachers. 'Argh'

"Thank you, Kathleen. I'll be expecting a chosen student by the end of this week, okay?" Tumango nalang ako. As if i have a choice.

"Okay good, you may go"

Dali dali akong umalis at dumeretyo sa office ko upang tapusin ang ibang lessons plan since I've already dismissed my first class and i still have an hour bago yung susunod. Dadaan nalang ako ng mall mamaya to buy some breakfast. I'm starving.

It's just the first day pero feeling ko kaya ko na matulog for one week straight.