11. Dreams And Desires

Mabel's POV

Day 2

So the first day of my honeymoon started out pretty well.

I realized that my husband was actually a nice person that I enjoyed having conversations with. He was more like himself and relaxed than at our wedding that he masked his anxiousness with a stern look. I have to admit that I was touched about how good of an actor he is, his demeanor was composed. I only knew by our time on the rooftop.

I stretched my body, yawning tiredly as I gazed at my reflection in the mirror. Then I brushed my teeth and showered. When I woke up this morning I found a scattered blanket, lying on the sofa. That told me that my husband slept on the sofa.

Choosing what to wear was no big deal. The weather today was bright and I had a bright colour to go with it: A hot pink playsuit with orange floral pattern. I styled my wig, wore my butterfly pendant necklace and stepped into brown leather sandals.

This morning I was feeling high spirited, so I picked up my ring from the nightstand and wore it. I don't know why but I felt like Mrs Obinna Johnson. The feeling was strange as the cold metal kissed my skin but I loved it just by looking at the ring.

"Hey." I stepped into the balcony, smiles beaming on my face.

He was on the phone, again; just like yesterday morning and last night. He gave me a dry smile after glancing at me and focused his gaze on the files and paperwork scattered on the small table. His face was stern and the atmosphere was tense around him. I could tell he was pissed from the way he would constantly groan or pinch the bridge of his nose. If I were him, I'd be yelling.

I waited, on my feet with a smile still plastered on my face: I was a wife waiting to be acknowledged by husband. I swallowed hard.
My face fell, my mood sunken
with disappointment.

I turned to leave but I heard him call my name. "Hey Mabel."

My heart jumped as I spun around, a smile playing at my lip.

"Hi."

"You look bright so I'd assume you had a good night rest."

He was right. "I can't say same for you. You seem pretty tired and worked up."

He nodded slowly. "That's pretty much my life."

I smiled nervously. "What do you do when you're not working?"

"Nothing, because I'm always working."

"Oh." I muttered, my lips making an 'o'.

"Yesterday was the longest break I ever took from work."

"Wow!" I exclaimed.

"I'm sorry I won't be able to go with you today." His face was tired and sound.

I felt a pang in my chest immediately.
"Oh!" I was shocked. "Yeah, yeah... Of.. Course, sure... Sure, why not? Of course." I stuttered.

And here I thought we had
something going. I wanted to talk about yesterday's but I guess it was
an accident.

"I'm really sorry."

For what? I'm the one who was already getting the wrong idea.

I faked a smile, "It's fine." I gave a wave of my hand. "You do you." I gave a snarky laugh as I slowly left the balcony.

Anyone could notice the hurt on my face from afar.

I had breakfast which was brought by room service all by myself. Then I had no idea what to do next, I'd have toured Venice myself but I was just not in the mood.