Chapter 29

Devastated. That would be the most accurate word to describe Zelda's current state as she sat in a chair in the corner of her room. She held her head in her hands, her neck bent towards the wooden floor. The royal priestess had been forced to pray all night following her father's unquestionable orders. However, along with achieving nothing, she had spent the night in tears, cursing life for being so unjust and ruthless towards her. Zelda couldn't understand why her loyal knight had been arrested and violently thrown into the castle's worst dungeons. She no longer understood her father... Link was their last hope to defeat Ganon with the Divine Beasts! He couldn't be cast aside like this! The young girl's heart tightened so much that tears welled up in her eyes. The door to her room opened, revealing Impa, whom she hadn't seen since her return. At her entrance, Zelda quickly stood up and rushed towards her, taking her hands.

"Impa, it's terrible!" she exclaimed, distressed. "We must free Link; I deeply believe he is innocent!"

Impa's face darkened. 

"Princess, I just spoke with your father to negotiate his release. The king refuses to consider it, as he deems his crime too grave," the Sheikah said firmly, causing Zelda to release her hands, shocked.

"But... He didn't do anything, Impa!"

"How can you be so sure? You feel and hear nothing during your trance states."

Trembling, the Hylian stepped back, shaking her head negatively. She didn't believe for a second that the Hero would be capable of such a thing.

"Impa, how... how can you say that?" she asked in a whisper, offended. "The Master Sword chose Link because he has a pure heart!"

"You won't make me believe he has no desires, Your Highness," the king's advisor retorted, turning her back to her. "Link is a man; he experiences and suffers all the consequences that come with it."

Zelda was even more shocked by her words. She couldn't understand how Impa herself could think such a thing.

"Do you think he's innocent, at least?"

Suddenly, the Sheikah looked at the door behind her, then at the windows in front. Her gaze was particularly wary. Discreetly, she nodded and motioned for the princess to follow her to the office. While she quickly wrote something on a piece of paper, she continued speaking.

"This scoundrel deserves the death penalty! Touching the royal priestess, the reincarnation of the goddess Hylia... You must understand, Your Highness. He's a miscreant who has been using you from the beginning."

Still discreetly, Impa handed the piece of paper to the princess.

"From now on, you'll have a new escort. Oswald has taken care of it for you."

The Sheikah saluted her and slowly headed towards the door, while Zelda hurried to read her note:

I'm being watched; I'm forced to think like Oswald or I risk being seen as a traitor in league with Link. You must flee, Princess. You're his next target... Wait a few moments after I've left, then run to the emergency staircase. You must escape to Kakariko Village. You'll be safe there. I'll deal with Oswald.

Zelda's eyes widened as her nurse closed the door behind her. So... Oswald was among the traitors! He, whom she had known since her earliest childhood and who had guided her until now? The princess's blood ran cold. Impa's message was clear: she had to flee to save her life. But... She couldn't leave Link behind. Still dressed as a priestess, she rushed to her door, waited for long seconds, and then suddenly opened it, her heart pounding. She saw the two silhouettes of the guards lying on the ground and Impa in a fighting stance. With a nod of her head, the Sheikah ordered the princess to flee immediately without looking back.