Chapter 6

Knight's Code of Honour

4. He doesn't fight with the tip of his sword but with the strength of his chivalrous spirit.

oOo

I have been odious to him, Zelda wrote in her journal after her anger had subsided. She had let her emotions get the better of her and directed all her frustrations about her current situation towards the Champion. At least she had been honest with him. Surprisingly, Impa came to find her to discuss their recent meeting with her father.

"You're going too far," the Sheikah stated firmly. "You know how dangerous it is for you to wander without an escort, especially in these times."

Sitting in her study, Zelda turned away, feeling a sense of shame. She was well aware of the dangers, but all she wanted was to be escorted by someone other than Link.

"You should apologize to him," Impa suggested, looking out the window at a distant tower.

"After all I said to him, I doubt he wants to see me again," Zelda replied, avoiding eye contact.

Impa crossed her arms, visibly displeased. 

"Do you think that's a valid reason to do nothing? There are many ways to apologize. Consider it."

With that, Impa left the study, hoping that Zelda would take her advice into consideration. However, Zelda had too much on her plate already. She needed to return to the Spring of Courage and then travel to the Gerudo Desert to research Vah'Naboris's energy source. So, she assembled an escort to accompany her to the prayer site and embarked on her new journey. Upon leaving the castle walls, she noticed Link watching her from a distance. It was clear to him that she didn't want him to follow her anymore.

Knowing he wouldn't see the royal priestess for at least a week since she was heading straight to Gerudo City after the Spring of Courage, Link decided to visit his childhood friend, Mipha, bringing her great joy. However, he appeared more closed off than he had during his inauguration ceremony. It was evident to the Zora that Link had been through some difficult trials, but she couldn't figure out what they were. When Mipha informed him about the Lynel on Mount Lanayru, Link didn't hesitate to eliminate it with astonishing ease. At least the residents of the domain wouldn't be frightened anymore. Sidon, the young prince and Zelda's brother, admired him even more now. He aspired to be just like him in a few decades, or so he thought.

Eventually, Mipha asked Link to find the princess, even though she was already escorted. In her heart, his place was always by her side, regardless of her wishes. She noticed his slight hesitation but saw him ultimately agree to find and follow the princess to the Gerudo Desert. Nonetheless, he dreaded the consequences of his disobedience.

oOo

"It's terrible, Urbosa," Zelda uttered in a small voice beside one of the Divine Beast's paws. "Lately, just seeing the Master Sword... it makes me feel like I'm still not ready."

The princess swallowed, lowering her gaze.

"And it's been like this ever since my father mentioned it. There have been times when I can't stand the sight of it."

"You shouldn't pay attention to it, Your Highness," Urbosa tried to reassure her, placing a hand on her shoulder. "I believe in your power; it will manifest itself soon, I'm sure."

Urbosa smiled warmly, but Zelda couldn't manage the same expression. She had heard these words too many times before. Her title and her father's expectations kept weighing her down, despite her best efforts. Her research was not progressing either. In the distance, on the horizon, she saw a blue figure forming and approaching. Zelda squinted to get a better look and sighed.