Chapter 8: The Enemy Is My New Friend?

A/N: THIS IS HUGE! Another chapter out so soon?! Who'd have guessed?! But for real though, I'm still feeling good writing this and my Gundam stories so I'll be alternating between those two. Probably do one more chapter then work on the Gundam book, but don't worry! This will get the attention it deserves, I promise! Thanks for all the support! I hope you enjoy!

After some time had passed after the incident with Shizu & Ifrit, and sending off Kaval and his party, things in the village were back in order for the most part as the cultivation of the village proceeded along smoothly. With the help of Kaijin and the three dwarf brothers, they were able to handle and lead the construction of new homes for everyone to live in while the Goblin Lords under Rigurd worked out a system for ruling the village. Even with the great amount of members in this village, everyone had a role to play and were working well together in harmony while listening to those in charge. It was for the most part a system that the members of the village were happy with, and a very functional system that even without orders from you or Rimuru directly, things were still getting done. Mai was flying around with a basket in her grasp under her as she was delivering some silk she produced to Dord.

"Excuse me!" Mai called out as she flapped her wings under the open tent Dord was working in as the dwarf turned around with joy.

"Ah, Mai. Thank you for the silk! It's truly unbelievable material that only few people could dream of working with." Dord said as he took the basket of silk from her.

"No need for thanks. I'm just glad to be of help to anyone here. By the way..." Mai trailed off as she looked around the area in wonder.

"Something the matter?" Dord asked.

"Did you happen to see my Lord? I didn't see him in his tent this morning." Mai asked as Dord put his hand to his chin in thought.

"Hmmmm...I think I recall him going up the hill nearby." Dord said as Mai turned around towards the tall hill behind her.

"I see. Thank you, Dord. I'm off." Mai said as she flapped her wings and headed off in the direction you were last seen in.

"Thanks!" Dord waved as he took the basket of silk and got to work.

Mai flew through the air at a gentle pace as she was in no rush to interrupt you in whatever you were doing, but knowing how much Shizu's passing affected you, she assumed you went to visit her grave once again. Everyday you visited her grave to offer prayer for her, and ever since then, Mai had been worried about you. Flying higher in the air, Mai made it to the top of the hill where she did see you laid on the ground next to Shizu's grave. Even though she wanted to see you, Mai had no intention of pulling you away from something you were devoted to, so as she slowly descended towards you, Mai gently landed on the soft grass next to you as she snuggled up close and rested one of her wings on you.

"Sorry, Mai. I'll be back to work once I'm finished here." You apologized as you kept your eyes closed.

"No, you are free to do whatever you desire, my Lord." Mai said as she looked to the grave longingly. "Shizu was really important to you, wasn't she, my Lord?" She asked.

"Yeah...We only met for a short period of time, but..." You trailed off as you opened one eye to look at the sky above as you could see her image staring down at you all with a gentle kind smile. "...I felt like we knew each other for an entire life time." You said as Mai turned herself on the grass to look at you.

"I'm also glad that Shizu was able to meet you, my Lord." Mai said as you smiled at her and pat your tail gently on her head.

"You're also very important to me, Mai. Promise me that if things get rough, you'll do whatever it takes to live." You said to her as she shuffled over to nuzzle her head against yours.