As narrow as the cracks in the wood, Candy's eyes narrowed, "What a load of bullcrap! It's the twenty-first century get with the program loony-bin!"

As her voice bellowed into the shed, I could not hide nor contain the groan of frustration that leap from my lungs. For truly how loose can her tongue be? Shall I need to use rope and tighten it for her? Because if she desires to survive in my world, she'll need to gain control over that loose tongue of hers, for it will only lead her to a world of hurt.

Take the scars littered upon my body as a witness of truth...

"Quiet and obedient wives are those that are desired, yet Malachi, you brought home a woman who is better suited to live in the barn with the hogs, then sit at our table." As the drafty words leaped from Pa's tongue, he slowly stood with an overflowing plate filled with now dirty food from the ground.

Tossing my head to the side, I distracted my eyes from the scene before me and instead indulged my eyes are the many cracks within the walls. The shed needed new walls and even a new roof. The walls used to be painted a beautiful pink with white flowers drawn on them. There was once a bookshelf filled with poetry books and a makeshift desk that was always overflowing with poetry and drawings. There was once life in this room, but now it is nothing more than a home for the ruminants of what used to be.

The girl who brought life to this shed is dead, and in return, she stole the very soul from the farm...

When I dared to break through my thoughts and glance at the bed, what I saw was both heart-wrenching and not shocking. However, unshocking it may be, it still arose great anger within me.

With his hand wrapped tightly around Candy's neck, he was whispering words that did not reach my own ears into hers. She was scratching at his hands while fire danced within her eyes. There was no doubt in my mind that if she had the power to control fire, her body would be engulfed with the element this very moment. And my father would be nothing but a pile of ash among the ground. I would not waste my strength to help the burning man. Instead, I would watch my angel dance with the flames of the sun.

Burn him, my angel, allow your flames of your soul to come forth and save us all...

Through the haze of a dreamlike state, my eyes resume to their state of helplessly watching the man that raised me hurt my angel. She struggled to breathe as he just watched her. It was one of his sick pleasures, I'd witnessed him do it on Ma countless times, and even at times, I've been the neck to whom those hands are wrapped around.

I could feel the anger rolling off me in waves, but I knew better than to intervene. Indeed, he is hurting her, but this is mere child's play to what he'll do to Ma if I step in and protect Candy from his bloody hands.

As my blood began to boil and burn my veins, I closed my fists and turned my back on them. Call me a coward, a wuss, or not even a man, but until you must choose between protecting two people you love, you will never understand my position.

"Ow! Oh, you little b---h!"

As the howl of pain came crashing out of my Pa's lungs, I spun around on my heels, dreading to what I'll have to see. But to both my surprise and horror, there was blood dripping down his face as the skin sported multiple small cuts. Confusion filled me as to what caused wounds until a flash of motion caught my attention.

Standing on the other side of the bed was Candy, to whom was covered in blood herself. Luckily, it appeared, too, not be hers. However, my eyes were more drawn to the sharp piece of pottery in her hand than the blood nor the foul words flying out of Pa's mouth.

My eyes darted around the room; the once intact plate was now reduced to broken pieces among the ground as Candy must've broken it over Pa's head. To how she did it is a mystery, for it is not a secret that she is clearly underweight. Truly, she must only be one-fifteen, or rather one-ten soaking wet. She barely had curves and was rather flat on both ends. Most of our mares must be taller than her, and if I truly had to guess her age by merely her body, I would've guessed she was barely even sixteen summers. Luckily, Aaron was able to tell her age by simply looking at her teeth and hips. She is a woman in her early twenties.

Nevertheless, it still bothered me how skinny she is. Truly, she is so skinny she could hula hoop in a cheerio. But even though her body may be small, she is still beautiful in my eyes, and nothing will ever change that.

"What kind of men are you!" Candy screeched while pointing the sharp pottery piece between us. As she stared at us, there was nothing, but hatred laced in her eyes, and even though I hate that she hated me, I do not blame her.

"Cowards!" She shouted even louder as if to make God himself hear her claims.

Pa was shaking with anger as he sneered at her, "You deserve nothing! What a waste of food on a woman who can't even control her tongue! You have lost everything! No food! No water! No bathing! You will work night and day until you have earned your right to even breathe without my permission!!!!!"

As his shouts echoed off the walls, he turned sharply and began to storm towards me, "The only way to deal with woman like her is with a shotgun!"

A shotgun is the reason we're in this mess...

With those final words, he stalked out of the shed and slammed the door behind him. A sigh escaped from within me as the air seemed to feel lighter with him gone, but as I turned to allow my eyes to descend upon my angel, I was met with her storm of anger.

"How dare you." She breathed out as she slowly stalked around the bed, she continued to point her newfound weapon at me, but I did not feel threatened for I knew if it came to it, I could take it away from her in a moments time but for now, I shall allow her to have it to defend herself against Pa.

"You call yourself a man, and yet you turned your back while that man tried to kill me!"

I remained still as a statue and allowed my emotions to lay at bay deep within me. This was not about me. She is scared for good reason, and therefore, she is turning her anger on me. But once more, I do not blame her for truly in her eyes, I am a coward, but to me, I did what I had to do to protect Ma.

Something Candy will never understand...

My mind was screaming at me to tell her the truth. My heart wanted to defend myself and to demand that our image is being portrayed wrongly. Instead, I simply stood with my lips sealed shut, for I could see it in her eyes. She had already made up her mind about me. With time, I know she'll come to love me, but now I was nothing more than a monster to her. She feared and hated me, to my dismay.

As she stood only a few feet away from me, I offered her sharp nod, "I'll be back in the morning. It's best that you use the bucket in the corner to clean up the food, and if you hear anything, be quiet."

And while you're at it, stop hating me...