Nine: Malachi

When a man chooses to love a woman, many emotions are brought forth within him. Some stronger than others, but the emotions are still within him. Albeit I fall in love with Candy the first time our eyes connected, there's just something about those beautiful eyes of hers that call to my soul in a way that I cannot even describe if I tired. And like any other man, I felt the emotions that come with love, pride to have such a woman in my life, happiness for she chose me, and the constant feeling of needing to protect her, rather it is from a spider or an obsessive ex-boyfriend. The threat never matters for deep within I'll always have this false sense I'm strong enough to protect her against even the devil himself.

But as the devil himself stood before me, I knew deep within that even if I tried, I could not protect my angel. I wanted to shout in frustration or perhaps finally lift my fists and beat this pitiful excuse of a man into the ground where he belongs but as if a chain was wrapped around my neck, I felt strangled for I knew if I acted out my desired thoughts it would not end well for Ma.

The bastard knew how to keep us in line when Ma was always the consequence.

With every breath, I grew more panicked for as my eyes danced between Candy and Pa, I knew there was nothing I could do if he dared to lift a hand to her as he has done to me countless times. In this moment, all I wanted to do was gather her into my arms and run. Run far away from this God forsaken place to somewhere we could love each other in peace and not in the definition of hell.

But oh, what a wasteful dream that is...

"I thought I taught you better than this Malachi." Pa drawled out as he eyed the food on the floor with a frown. His words were calm, but I knew better than to believe in the false sense of hope that deep within him, he wasn't angry. He was like the perfect book. His cover is eye-catching, and many are drawn to him. But little do they know what evil lies among the pages and pain within the details.

"Pa, it's not what it looks like, I tripped and-."

"Do you think I was born yesterday, boy?"

Gritting my teeth, I closed my eyes and rolled my head back to contain the anger within me, I was growing nervous, for I knew better than to assume this was by any means a social visit. No, Pa had a reason for being here. He had a point that needed to be made clear, and oh God help us if that point involves his fists as it usually does.

He prefers blood over words...

My eyes shot open as I heard a snarl like grumble vibrate from the bed. Seemingly unfazed, Candy rose upon her knees and glared at Pa's five-eight stiff body. It disturbed me to a level you can not even try to understand, that my wife is in nothing but her undergarments in front of my Father. I knew he would not lust after her, but it still did not put my feelings to bay. I was witnessing my innocent dove be exposed to the talons of a blood thirsty wolf who was never satisfied with one simple kill.

"I want to leave here; you have no right to keep me here!"

As her voice broke through the short-lived silence, I wanted to personally punch myself for this woman must truly be mad. For does she not at least sense the danger that lurks in front of her? She may think I am the monster in her story, but she has just met mine.

A very unamused laugh echoed from Pa as he bent down and began to pick up some of the food from the ground and shovel it onto a plate that surprisingly did not break on impact.

She has a good arm; I have to give her that.

"Rights? You are a woman; you are lesser than a man and even lesser than your husband. You'll do best to remember that." Like his demeaner, Pa's words were calm, cold even. He knew without a doubt he had control of the room, and even if Candy refused to believe it, he had already won control over her.