Game Night and Memories

As everyone but Rowena and Crowley—who didn't need to eat and wanted some time alone—gathered in the kitchen, Dean gingerly made his way to the pantry to get the spaghetti while Jody headed to the freezer to get the garlic bread. Sam started to help while everyone else congregated around the table and the island. Mary placed Jack in his highchair and Emma sat on her father's lap.

"So, what do y'all wanna do after this?" Gabe questioned, flipping his chair around to sit on it backward.

"Well, Dean wanted to do something outside, so what do we have that we can do outside?" Charlie asked.

"Is there even anywhere to do anything outside?" Kevin questioned. 

"There are no grassy areas around, but if you lay some sleeping bags out, the road right outside the front door should be nice enough," Cas clarified. 

"Add some lanterns and it'll feel like camping," Claire added.

"True," Gabe nodded. He didn't think the Winchesters owned any lanterns, but they should be pretty easy to create. "I think we're far enough from the city to be able to see stars when it gets dark enough."

Emma, previously more interested in tracing the design on Cas's shirt, looked up at the mention of stars. "Oooh, I've always wanted to see stars. There weren't any in Purgatory."

Dean looked over his shoulder and locked eyes with Cas, the angel holding their little girl tighter. The poor girl had never had a normal life, having only been alive for a few, horrible days before having to fight to survive in Purgatory. The hunter would never forgive himself for how her life ended, even if it wasn't his fault, and leaving her in Purgatory was going to haunt Cas for the rest of his immortal life. 

"What game do you guys wanna play? I don't think we could handle another game of Monopoly, especially with this many people."

"What about Uno?" Gabe suggested.

"I don't know what that game is, but I have a feeling it might end in bloodshed," Cas noted.

"You would be correct," Charlie pointed at him, "but that's what makes it fun."

"I remember the boys playing it with just the two of them and it would get pretty heated," Bobby reminisced. "I think I remember Dean tackling Sam at one point."

"He would tackle me if he lost any game," Sam corrected.

"That's not true," Dean cut in.

"It so is. You're such a sore loser, Dean. Even against the kids."

"Yeah, remember that one time we played mini golf?" Claire reminded him.

"I was not a sore loser. I was impressed if anything."

"Uh-huh."

"Anyway, enough talk. Dinner is served. Come get a bowl." 

Dean, being the gracious host he is, waited until everyone had some to take a bowl for himself. He hadn't had to move a whole lot while making dinner, so he was a little stiff as he tried to make his way to the table; the stools at the island were too high for him to sit comfortably without agitating his wounds. Gabe had decided to forgo eating tonight and noticed Dean struggling, so he hopped up and grabbed the hunter's arm, guiding him to sit between their brothers. The man mumbled a "thanks" before digging into his meal.

As everyone enjoyed their spaghetti, Dean noticed his brother staring and pushing around his food more than eating it. Nudging him with his elbow, he asked "What's up with you?"

Sam sighed before looking up. "We never really talked about it."

"Talked about what?"

"Why that shifter was here, why he looked like Dad, and why we're watching out lives in the first place. I mean, God explained it to us, but we didn't really question it. We question everything, especially if it comes from God. We got home from a case and just decided, 'ok, we're doing this.' Since when has that ever been how we do things? I mean, God hasn't been in the equation since the Apocalypse, and that's a maybe, and we're suddenly cool with him ordering us around?"
"Wow, how long have you been thinking about this?" Mary asked.